Another Wood ID!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, it has virtually no smell at all.. That is - compared to the pile of red oak I have near it on my driveway.. That oak always reeks like rotting apples. Regarding the tulip poplar - Last year my buddy and I dropped a large tulip poplar and couldn't believe how light even the wet rounds were. This stuff is lots heavier than that tulip, but not as heavy as the oak. Also, the tulip had no dark heartwood like this stuff, and its bark was really symmetric-diamond shaped.

I am pretty sure it is a Poplar, not sure what kind. I have big poplar with that type of heartwood.

But then again, a leaf really would be nice..

Actually, it has virtually no smell at all.. That is - compared to the pile of red oak I have near it on my driveway.. That oak always reeks like rotting apples. Regarding the tulip poplar - Last year my buddy and I dropped a large tulip poplar and couldn't believe how light even the wet rounds were. This stuff is lots heavier than that tulip, but not as heavy as the oak. Also, the tulip had no dark heartwood like this stuff, and its bark was really symmetric-diamond shaped.
If it's not as dense as oak, then it's not hickory. If it splits easily, then its not cottonwood, and your pics show that it's not stringy when split and cottonwood is usually as stringy as most elm varieties, depending somewhat on dryness. The bark does look like cottonwood (compare your Pic to mine).

Excellent mystery wood. Nobody knows what it is. I like posts like this. :bowdown:

Back