Another Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look like any kind of ash to me...

Same here. The contrast between sapwood and heartwood doesn't look ashy, but I've pretty much only seen one kind of ash around here, bark has finer fissures and wood is all light color. And straight as hell, not stringy.

I'm voting ash. Looks a lot like what I've cut locally for firewood which from my own experience smells like the ash lumber I've bought from the lumberyard which also has had the brown and creamy white colors.

Went back and took another long, hard look at those pictures...
Sure don't look like any kind of ash to me... The bark is all wrong and the wood is too stringy.
If I was to guess? And it's just a wild azz guess based on what I see in those pictures... Siberian Elm.

I'm thinking hickory. The flat spots on the bark point to it, but I have not split enough of it to tell much from the wood. The bark doesn't seem to have the diamond shapes of ash bark.

Last edited:
I doubt there is much Hickory growing in Nebraska, but you never know!
See... now here's a thinking man. Once you leave the extreme southeast corner of Nebraska there just ain't a lot of tree varieties... heck, except for yard trees, there ain't a lot of trees. :laugh: Once ya' get left of the Missouri River it's sort'a like landing on the moon (a really grassy moon). :D
I'm thinkin' that Hickory... or Persimmon (that's a joke... right?)... wouldn't be very likely... of course, neither would ash.

Doesn't look like ash to me, the bark is way too rough and irregular. Ash has nice neat bark fissures, very uniform and "tight".

Green Ash (Fraxinus Pennsylvanica). Does the inner bark layer have a red color when fresh? Looks like it to me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back