Another wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-d0uble

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings all!

Much to my liking, the town has decided to fell another large tree on my road. I ran over toot sweet with the MS280-CBQ and took nearly the whole thing. Unfortunately, there were no small branches with leaves around for me to attempt an amateur ID myself (they must have ground all of that up), but boy did this sucker dull my chain quick. Any ideas as to what it may be? The bark on the younger growth is smoother and "grayer", but the older growth is much more textured. I'm thinking some variety of maple as it's probably the most prevalent species around here.

attachment.php

I'm going with silvermaple too. woofah wood. splits e-z. burns fast.

Thanks guys. I've read that silver maple is mediocre firewood, perhaps I'll burn it early in the season before I get to the heavier stuff.

Thanks guys. I've read that silver maple is mediocre firewood, perhaps I'll burn it early in the season before I get to the heavier stuff.

I'll burn it most of the buring season 20 million btu pretty dran good for what they call soft maple:cheers:

Good idea. I've burned a lot of it and it's fine - just doesn't coal very well. The year before last I burned the entire (COLD) season with it, and I didn't freeze. Beats buying LP

As well as poplar and white pine, I call it Ecclesiastes wood - to every thing there is a season.

Add to the verse below, "A time to cut down, a time to buck up; a time to burn pine, a time to burn oak."

Ecclesiastes 3
1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance

Ecclesiastes wood! That's fantastic, I love it! I don't think I'll be burning this stuff this coming winter, however. It's wet as all heck.. If I split it and stack it now do you think I might be able to use it in 6 months? The elm I posted about some weeks ago has been split and stacked for sometime now and already seems dry as a bone.. perhaps I'm kidding myself?!

Ecclesiastes wood! That's fantastic, I love it! I don't think I'll be burning this stuff this coming winter, however. It's wet as all heck.. If I split it and stack it now do you think I might be able to use it in 6 months? The elm I posted about some weeks ago has been split and stacked for sometime now and already seems dry as a bone.. perhaps I'm kidding myself?!

silver maple will for sure be ready this season elm sace it for jan. feb.

If I split it and stack it now do you think I might be able to use it in 6 months? The elm I posted about some weeks ago has been split and stacked for sometime now and already seems dry as a bone.. perhaps I'm kidding myself?!

The silver maple I busted up in March is already significantly lighter as a result of evaporated water weight - and is checked significantly at the ends. Not even covered over/tarped. I do admittedly split real small for my cookstove woodbox.

You'll be fine.

All of the elm I've handled has been a casualty of Dutch elm, seasoned on the stump.

That is the BEST type of firewood................

FREE !! :cheers:

silver maple isn't the greatest, but I'll take it every time for free. I always mix my woods anyway...... its burns plenty well in the stove alongside oak, cherry, or elm.:clap:

FREE !! :cheers:

Silver maple isn't the greatest, but I'll take it every time for free. I always mix my woods anyway...... its burns plenty well in the stove alongside oak, cherry, or elm.:clap:
+1. Good stuff for starting the fire and keeping the dense wood going. Elm really doesn't need its help. Oak and mulberry enjoy its company.

However, burn it this year. Soft maple dry rots in two years, even if stored off the ground. After three years, it's punky toast.

Thanks again fellas for your informative posts. I'm sure I'll be back again when the town drops something else I can't ID on my own.
:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back