another work video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering why you cut so high up on the tree? I was always taught to get as low as was safe.

Just wondering why you cut so high up on the tree? I was always taught to get as low as was safe.

it was a snag. makes for a quicker escape and allows you to look up while making yourself a slimmer target.

I noticed that you used a wedge, is there a rule of thumb when to use a wedge and when one is not needed? Did that tree have an unpredictable fall direction?

good job! only thing i see thats not right is you dont have any snow!! been shoveling every tree on the forest service job to get the 12" stump. I hate winter.

I noticed that you used a wedge, is there a rule of thumb when to use a wedge and when one is not needed? Did that tree have an unpredictable fall direction?

just watch the top - it'll tell you how much to wedge and when

a rule of thumb i follow is to always have at least two wedges handy
and i always palm one in the backcut on half the trees i fall, sometimes more, sometimes less.
it depends on the situation.

get jerry beranek's book fundamentals of general tree work - it has very good info about wedging.

good job! only thing i see thats not right is you dont have any snow!! been shoveling every tree on the forest service job to get the 12" stump. I hate winter.

we could use some moisture -rain or snow. haven't had a decent rain since august 08.

Looks like you've got it down pretty good.

Is that something new on your face since the last video I saw of you?

Andy

i can't remember. if there was no beard then it was after a wedding i went to.

Your itchin' to come out West huh? Good job, nice video. I had no sound though.

sure am. there's no sound. i have a cheapo camera for now...

get thoes stumps lower bud!! and do the same with your drags.

I could see these comments making since if he were using these trees for lumber, but he is not trying to save any of the wood for milling. Seems like the safest and easiest thing to do is cut them like he did. He'll lop the stumps off after the tree's on the ground.

Latest posts

Back