anouncement on 95vp chain experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
it worked on both the pp 295 and the partner ... with a purchase and a little help from my friends... [i get by with a little help from my friends... a song from the early 70s].. in any case the 95 vp was faster than the rs or lg chain, on the 2 saws that i wanted to use it on...
i can now safely say i got the fastest 16inch saw,east of locust nc and west of concord ,nc:)...
another thing i noticed ... lowes offers a very limited line of husky chain ... guess whats always there [dn here] ... u guessed it 95 vp...so husky knew what i found out ,all along. at least thats what it says to me. jmo .. by the way im not sayin this is a blanket fact as the 028 is still as fast with lg or rs chain.go figure

Hi Tony,

This may be a dumb question but...is the 95VP compatible with normal width bars??? I ask because Baileys markets its narrow kerf chain (suggested) to be used with their Arbor Pro narrow kerf bars.

Thanks

Jeff

"Arbor Pro narrow kerf bars" are pieces of crap. They bend waaaay to easy in a little pinch. I like the Oregon Microlites though. I think running 95vp in a regular .325 bar is sort of like running .050 in an .058 groove. It'll work, just kind of sloppy and inefficient.

95 vp

I like the 95 vp chain pretty well too. I posted a thread awhile ago about different .325 chains and got a lot of responses. Here is what I found out myself. I tested 95vp 33lg and stihl (cant remember the #) rs. The results were kind of backwards from what I expected. The 95 vp was the fastest all the time. The lg and rs were about the same but in bigger wood the lg came out on top. All three chains were brand new that I lightly touched up on an 18" husky 350. I realize the results would probably be different if I ran the same chains on a slightly more powerful saw. The 95 vp cuts deceptively fast for a round tooth, bumper link chain and it definately stays sharp longer in slightly dirty wood. Just my findings. brent

Oregon lists Micro-Lite bars in two gauges, .050 ga. .325 pitch for the 95VP chain & .043 ga. 3/8 pitch for the 90SG chain.

95VP chain is designed for a guide bar with an .050 ga. bar groove and the drive links fit the groove of any standard .050 guide bar. But the bars recommended for 95VP chain are not as thick to match the narrow tooth in the cut.

The issue is probably more of how effective is running a narrow tooth chain on a standard thickness guide bar. Does the bar hangup in the cut, how well do the chips clear the cut, does this make the chain run hotter, does it get enough lubrication, etc.

Thanks to Tony for sharing the results of his testing!

Mike

yep . so far everything i find goes with what mike and brent said. one thing ,
i switched the microlite bar to the 295 from the partner. couldnt really tell much
difference. but for rights sake, id recomend the microlite,just because they recomend it... both saw better on 95vp .
still the partner got the edge. measured the cutter and it still measures wider than the standard .50 bar.[not much].
experiments over . had a wreck and the 295 is in the trunk. gonna try but i t ll not surprize me if its gone when i go back.
id slipped something else i carry under junk in the trunk. been carrying that for 15 yrs for the predators ,u run into . hate to lose both.
somethin to be said for bein old an made like an old leather sho. aint even sore .
dang airbag scraped my arm tho.get worse everday on the job. lest the impression i leave be that i cant be hurt,let me say . it wasnt his time, to take me or the other folks. always in his hands... got to say my mom being on life support, against what i think, is what she wanted,probably is disturbing me more than i realized.distracted and depressed,i guess.
edit must add width of cutters equeal right and left cutter witd. jmo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back