ansi standards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frashdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can see
A300 (Part 1) - 2001 Pruning Standards and ANSI Z133.1

Probably have to lay some coin down? If so, can some one give me a breif of what it's all about. I have an idustrial background and have delt with ansi in that realm.

Any other standards to be familiar with.

Thanks
Steve

Thay shouldn't make you pay so much money for something that is supposed to prevent you from hurting yourself. Is this really about safety or is it about money?:mad:

First, it's not just the standards you're getting but the bmp's too.

Second, they're only $18 for members, not too big a bite.

"Any other standards to be familiar with." What kind of work do you do? planting fertilizing cabling lightning protection are all good to know too. Buying the bmp's only is more practical and save$ you some, unless you're dealing a lot with contracts.

LightningLoader said:
Thay shouldn't make you pay so much money for something that is supposed to prevent you from hurting yourself. Is this really about safety or is it about money?:mad:
thay sell the guide. there is an organization that doesnt care what thay charge. thay are refered to and know as OSHA. the funny thing of it is thay will fine you for things that will have you begging to pay triple the zs price.

always good to keep in mind that ansi provides a national standard(we are talking about the ansi z... here) but OSHA is the law, and state OSHA's are often more stringent than national OSHA standards, we are talking about safety standards here, ansi a300 refers to acceptable pruning practice, and the last company I worked for was required to state on all sales proposals " all work to be performed according to ansi A300 standards" or something to that effect in order to be a TCIA accredited company, of course the client can't get on the web and actually see what the hell that means because it's not free information. Always a good idea to be fluent in the ansi standards, but make sure you are also compliant to your state OSHA , especially if your company is large enough to be an inviting target. I've seen a company with an excellent safety record and practices get multiple OSHA citations for very nitpicky things.
... following ansi does not mean you are compliant with OSHA, make sure you read them both.
ansi sets the standard for professionalism, OSHA sets the standard for what you can be cited for, They don't always overlap.

Last edited:
coydog said:
always good to keep in mind that ansi provides a national standard(we are talking about the ansi z... here) but OSHA is the law, and state OSHA's are often more stringent than national OSHA standards, we are talking about safety standards here, ansi a300 refers to acceptable pruning practice, and the last company I worked for was required to state on all sales proposals " all work to be performed according to ansi A300 standards" or something to that effect in order to be a TCIA accredited company, of course the client can't get on the web and actually see what the hell that means because it's not free information. Always a good idea to be fluent in the ansi standards, but make sure you are also compliant to your state OSHA , especially if your company is large enough to be an inviting target. I've seen a company with an excellent safety record and practices get multiple OSHA citations for very nitpicky things.
... following ansi does not mean you are compliant with OSHA, make sure you read them both.
ansi sets the standard for professionalism, OSHA sets the standard for what you can be cited for, They don't always overlap.
Z what? btw which osha standard are you talking about um and congratulations on your pruning specs

Osha

Check out this site - Code of Federal Regulations. OSHA is covered in Title 29, Vol 5, Chapter XVII, parts 1900-1910. The code can be a little difficult to follow and all the answers won't be in one section. Be sure to research thoroughly.

In some states, the Dept of Labor may offer an evaluation of your safety program to determine what is needed to comply with OSHA standards.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html

jmack said:
Z what? btw which osha standard are you talking about um and congratulations on your pruning specs

He is talking about the 2 major ANSI standars we should be following.

A300 is tree care standards - eg. don't flush cut

Z133 is tree work safety standars - eg. don't onehand a chainsaw.

They cost as much as they do because they are printed and disseminated by ANSI. TCIA and ISA buy them in bulk, but the discount is not all that big.

You can buy a set of the of the standards, and Best Practice manuals from ISA at a discount with the CA trainign package.

John Paul Sanborn said:
He is talking about the 2 major ANSI standars we should be following.

A300 is tree care standards - eg. don't flush cut

Z133 is tree work safety standars - eg. don't onehand a chainsaw.

They cost as much as they do because they are printed and disseminated by ANSI. TCIA and ISA buy them in bulk, but the discount is not all that big.

You can buy a set of the of the standards, and Best Practice manuals from ISA at a discount with the CA trainign package.
thankyou jp

I hate to be a nitpicker Tom, but as of yesterday there were still members voting on the Z-133. It won't go to the printer until every voting member of the committee votes.

P. Markworth
TCIA Rep to the ANSI Z-133

Latest posts

Back