Antique logging pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
51494d1179554015-cat-logging-01-jpg

51496d1179554249-cat-logging-03-jpg

51497d1179554347-cat-logging-04-jpg

51498d1179554581-donkey-jpg

51614d1179757784-cat-logging22-jpg

Down town Darrington Warshington, old hardware store on the left, and Whitehorse mountain framing the veiw, Probably got kin in this here picture...

I haven't been to Darington since Xmas but it sure looks like Darington many years ago

That street is pretty lonely now adays

I still have family up there... so I'm in town couple times a year, hasn't changed much from that picture though, rail road is gone, Skidder's cafe? is on the left just past where the R-R was...Red Top tavern would be on the right (if it hasn't fell down yet) and the street got paved some time shortly after this pic was taken, so there are real side walks and stuff... but yeah Darlict town is kinda sad now... Though they still put on a parade every 4th of july.

Growing up folks had a cabin just up river about 2 miles I spent lots of time there

Cabin was about 1/2 mile up river from the old log yard just past the dog leg in the road on the river side of the road

If its where I'm thinking is it still there? helped some peeps move out in a hurry back in high school, river was getting deeper and the house we worked on had a nice ceder tree working its way through the dining room into the kitchen, we didn't save the china...

There is a new cabin were it use to be

This was back in the late 60's early 70's cabin was sold when I went to school in Cali back in the 70's

We lost about 75 feet of bank back then

I use to fish up there with Fureman H old mayor

that predates me, ma's side of the family has been there since the late 50's early 60's, but I didnt roll in until 88-89, just in time to watch the big ugly strike at summit and g+d, and then the spotted chicken happened and it was all over...

It's interesting to look at the butt end of the logs where the hinge wood is to see how they did the felling. Some hinges are halfway through the log whereas other logs have the hinge not even 1/4 of the way through the log. I'm sure it all was based on how the log was positioned on the hill.

Another thought: it doesn't look like obesity was an issue in any of these photos. I remember reading that some of these men consumed upwards of 9,000 calories per day, yet they were thin as a crosscut saw.

See it in action!

[video=youtube;HrIHoBp-lsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrIHoBp-lsc[/video]

Another thought: it doesn't look like obesity was an issue in any of these photos. I remember reading that some of these men consumed upwards of 9,000 calories per day, yet they were thin as a crosscut saw.

Tradition holds that a fat man in the woods was considered bad luck. The only exception to that was the camp cook. A skinny cook was looked upon with suspicion.

You say'n I'm fat or just bad luck?

Now just how the hell can I answer that question and stay out of trouble? That's like the question from the wife..."Honey, do I look like I've lost weight?" I usually just start coughing and pretend that I have to get outside real quick.

Some questions there are no right answers for. :laugh:

A train of 20 horses pulling wood over the lake Päijänne to the paper mill in 1930's.

UPM+ajokuva+46.jpg

Back