Ants in wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a couple rows of stacked rounds that have been sitting for at least a year. I tryed splitting one yesterday and there was a ton of ants inside (dorment from the cold) and some other rounds have tunnels and a few others are fine. The wood is in good condition so I would hate to have to drag it out in the woods to get rid of it. I have read that insects and bugs leave wood once it is seasoned but I think those are insects that are between the pieces of wood, what about stuff like ants inside the wood? Is there any way to get rid of them?
Place those pieces of wood into the fire with much haste, they ant's will be gone. Sometimes if your lucky you can hear the moisture in them cook, sounds like they are screaming. Anyway, they will only add to the fuel load and create more heat for you, just don't stack those pieces inside the house.

I find ants in wood all the time. Its been my expeiance that they hide in the wood pile and really don.t come out of the pile.

When splitting wood, if you see those big white larva in the ant filled rounds, I've been told those are queen ant larva. I always save those for my son and he uses them for fishing bait. He says they work great.

Also I was told by my exterminator freind that carpenter ants favorite food is termites. When termites soften up the wood the ants can come in and get em.

Has anyone ever found wood roaches in hollow rounds or under dead cherry bark. Last year I cut up 2 loads of nice dead locust. When I started splitting it roaches poured out of it. All sizes and shapes. Evey peice had em in it. I burned the whole pile outside.

Back