any body burn wood pallets or skids in your wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't, but I would use it kindling or for short, quick fires for this time of year. Burns too quick for serious, long term heat. Better uses for pallets, IMO.

i meant the oak pallets

oak pallets some are thick a bought 5to 6 inches thick
the cross parts of wood maby 1to 2 inches thick

i get them for free

I was offered all the oak pallets i wanted, but I had to decline. Just too much work busting them up for the heat I get out of them.

I use 2"x4"x48" pine stickers. Drove some angle iron in the ground and use it to cut them in half. I get them from my workplace and they are free. The stickers are used to strap units of 4'x8' OSB for shipping. They have a grove cut in to one side for the strap. No hardware in them. The stickers I use are culls. Most are warped to much for use in packaging. The culls are packaged in 1000 lb. bundles. So far I've brought 26 bundles home. When ever I'm in the area of the mill and my dump truck is empty I stop by and load up.

When it's warm I use the stickers and also use them when I have pieces of hard wood that haven't burned down all the way. My son works second shift and I work a rotating shift so we use the pine stickers to get a good burn down before refilling with hardwood. They'll also be good for summer burning for hot water. Again they are free and hate to see all that wood go to a land fill.

I use them in my OWB all the time. We ruin about 150-200 skids every yeah in my bundle business, but we have an endless suply, so when a skid gets to trashed to easily use, we'll bust it uo enough to through in the OWB, or save it for bonfires. I dont worry about nails, i just dig them out of the ash. . .

Some are pressure treated BEWARE!(noxious fumes)
I only use them to dry wood.
If you want to cut them up SAWS-ALL.
Mark

i also have an unlimited supply of free pallets, but i think they are a little too much work for the short burn times i get out of them. now, on the other hand, i also get a truck load of 4x4 posts about once a month. these are from flat bed truck trailers deliverig bundles of steel. they are 8 ft long and are usually oak or black locus. i love these things and burn all i can get, i cut them down right off the bed of the truck.

There are a few factories by me that have what I call skids. They are made out of 4x4 and 1x6 about 4 feet square. I take my 78 year old friend with me and we cut a bunch of them for us to burn. I use it to suppliment my wood and thats all he uses to burn. :cheers:

lots of work, great wood for those who don't have many oak trees around. I have used them before and like the wood. Is there any problem with the nails or is it just that there could be galvinized nails?

They can be good for jump-starting a lazy fire, and they make great kindling. Don't throw too many in at once, though - they burn very hot. As others said, only burn the clean ones. I just rip them up the insides of the stringers - the parts with the nails are too much of a hassel.

I burn pallets when they start to rot or break. Easy to cut em up with a sawzall, or even the chainsaw as long as you are very careful about nails. I dig the nails out of the ashes anyway. Big magnet on a stick gets everything but the stainless nails (and yes, I have found a few pallets with stainless nails for some strange reason). I just bought a carbide tipped blade for my sawzall (Freud Diablo at Home Depot) specifically for cutting up pallets and doing some pruning of apple trees.

i burned nothing but cut up pallets in my stove for almost 4 months. Used a chainsaw to cut them up and just didnt let the stove temp runaway - like you would do when burning regular cord wood as well. Never had an issue.

So far this year I have only burned pallets , none of my good wood , I'll save that for when it gets colder . In the shoulder seasons the pallets work great !! Cut most into 3 pieces and then cut some of those in half again , the only complaint I have is they smoke like a bugger !!! So if you have any neighbors close by be careful you might want to mix it up a bit with some other wood. or Three weeks of heat and hot water with only junk pallets that were going to rot anyway , can't beat it .

Latest posts

Back