Any BTU benefits from mole scat? :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Seriously - moles, moles everywhere in my woodpiles! Any suggestions to get rid of them? Their scat is building daily whilst they debark soft maple limbs.......... by fall all I'll have to burn will the mole scat........

On a good note, the don't seem to like my hard maple nor my hickory.

Shari

How about moles in the yard. :angry: They want to make me pull my hair out. If there wasn't and under ground sprinkler system i would have been shooting the ground last year with the shot gun.

I haven't figure out how to get them out of my lawn, I certainly hope they don't invade my wood pile this year. :angry:

It is amazing how much damage one little mole can do. :chainsawguy:

I swear if I was a bit faster I could catch the buggers in my hand - they sit there watching me stack the wood. If I didn't know better I'd think their salvia glands begin working as soon as I put another split on the stack. :)

In another thought - maybe they are 'voles' - there are no tunnels in my yard..... tunnels under the stacks, yes, but no tunnels around the yard. Shorter tail than a mouse, beady eyes, very solid dark brown fur. Curious creatures - they not afraid of me working the stacks and will sit on their haunches watching me.

Shari

Probably a vole.

Mole
asset.php

Vole
asset.php

Hmm i thought i knew how to make the images show up full size in the post but i guess not. Oh well.

The voles will leave you dead paths of grass in your yard, but they don't actually tunnel under ground. They just mess the root system of of the grass in their path.

Growing up we had Chipmonks like in our woodpile.
I would sit in a quiet place for hours with my trusty Daisy BB gun, wanting to decorate my hat with a fresh tail :)

My mom sure was pissed though :cry::cry:

Jack Russells! I have 2 and they killed moles all winter. I never had a dog get them in the winter until now. They keep all things furry at bay, and they are not fans of our northern Indiana snakes either.

Iceman -- If you were not so far away i would ask to rent your dog. :)
Haha

I have two different traps i use, i have the plunger style, as well as the scissor type. I have so far only killed on. :(

Shari, any good rodenticide like "Just one Bite" will clobber those Voles. Hit 'em hard and don't let up.

Get 'em while they are in the woodpile, and before they decide your house is thiers. They can out breed mice and are just as destructive.

Grandkids with BB guns is an effective tool, but a couple Blue racers and big Garter snakes are even better.;)

Good luck!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I will check into the "Just one Bite". The problem I have is there are feral cats around and I really don't mind them at all as I do think they are 'working on it' to keep the rodent level down - but I just don't want to accidentally poison the cats when they are not my target.

Those cats will have to eat a LOT of the new generation Bromadioline Rodenticide, before they are affected, and same thing with hawks and owls.

If ya can, shove bits of the bars into the pile where the Voles frequent. They usually munch a bit and then carry it off to thier stash pile so keep an eye on things and refresh as neded.

I just smack the bars with a hammer while inside the pack and use the chunks. Dadgum Mice will haul off half a bar at a time if ya let them LOL!!

Good luck!!
Dingeryote

Yeah, we have hawks, owls and even coyotes around here. Deer have even been known to bed down in our back yard. Somewhere around here I even have pictures of coyotes standing on their rear legs jumping 'up' to eat pears off our pear trees in winter. Never knew coyotes to 'pick fruit' - deer, yes, but never coyotes. :)

Shari

LOL!!! Pear pickin' yotes.

Coyotes will eat anything. They keep the rabbits, mice, woodchucks and ground squirrels in pretty good check, so they are considered beneficial untill they get cocky about it. They only get a tune up if they challenge our territorial boundrys, and our mutts keep detailed records of who peed on which side of what tree for us.;)

It's kinda funny when the fruit is on, as occaisionally one can find blue 'yote scat with critter fur in it. LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

dont know about vole btu's but there are good btu's in cow patties...
let them get good and hard, stack them up and chuck em in the stove..

dont know about vole btu's but there are good btu's in cow patties...
let them get good and hard, stack them up and chuck em in the stove..

Hubby was in military service in Korea. "Patties" are how the Korean country folk heated their homes back then and maybe yet today. :)

Back