What makes your business stand out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthathaway7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I wondering what everyone does to make their business stand above the rest? I am small-time in the firwood business and plan to expand this next year and want to do it right. Here's some of what I do...

-Organize my wood by type, keep record of when each "lot" was cut, always seasoned.

-Keep all of my rounds on mine belting before I split them to keep mud off (I always hear complaints about other people's wood being dirty)

-Stack all of my split wood on pallets, never on the ground

-Free kindling- when cleaning up my yeard, I try to pick out the little shards from splits and give a grocery bag full to my customers every other load or so. They act like I'm handing them a bag of gold! Also, I have a friend with a wood mill that will let me pick his yard whenever I want to. It's extra effort and time, but I just do it when I'm on my way through with nothing to do and an empty truck.

-Free wood cradles: I'll strap on a few pallets and grab some steel posts and tie wire when I go to deliver the first load for a customer who signs up for the winter. When I get there, I'll ask them where they want the wood, and I'll build a cradle with pallet bottoms and sides. I collect old fencing posts and cut up old bed rails from my scrap pile for the posts. I've bought a few in my time, but that's ok because the benefits are worth it. I do NOT charge. The customers are always very appreciative of you going out of your way to do this. It shows that you care about them and about your product when you explain that it keeps the wood dry but lets air circulate, and is easy to fasten a tarp to. Also, it shames them into not deciding to buy from competition that's a little cheaper if the chance arises :sword: I get my pallets for free because my family owns a feed store, but you can collect quite a few for free: keep your eye out driving through town in the spring when gas stations and grocery stores are selling mulch. This is a one time shipment for them so the companies will not be back for the pallets and they are often trying to figure out how to get rid of them because they can't just throw them in their dumpsters. And just ask any business that you think might get things in on pallets if they need some taken out of their way. You would be surprised how many places will act like you're a super-hero when you ask them. DON'T give them your phone number though, they will drive you nuts one pallet at a time. I actually make a little money on the side by picking up pallets here and there on my way home and selling them 100 at a time or so to recycling centers for 1.00-3.00 a piece, depending on who it is and what types of pallets.

-Market research with different types of wood, try different woods with different customers and get feedback: I am always experimenting with different woods to find their best uses. BTU charts are good, but they don't tell all the characteristics of the burn. I wish someone would create a dependable BTU chart that reads how many BTU's per hour per volume.. that could get really tricky though and would be for another post. Anyways, this winter I've been adding an armful extra of hackberry to some customers' orders and ask them to burn it exclusively for a bit when they get a chance and tell me how it burns for them, and how they like it. After talking to enough customers you can sort of gather a general concensus. If they like, that gives you room to mix it in. If they don't like it, you know to keep it out. (yes I keep a preference profile in my little black book) Either way you find out how it burns. I don't rely on my opinion alone because I'm not my customer. I've found that hackberry burns pretty hot and a little fast, but not as fast and hot (and dirty) as pine, so I am going to try to market it toward my customers who are just burning in their garages or shops with radiant stoves. They would rather it heat up quick and don't care how long the wood burns and wastes heat out in the garage after they go to bed, so I think this would be a good choice. That gives me a lot more options, because now I can sell them that wood at regular premium price because it suits their needs, just as oak suits the needs for home heat based on it's burn. I do make sure that the garage/shop customers understand this though, that way if someone who knows their wood mentions something about them burning hackberry, the customer can tell them what the deal is and then I don't come out looking like some guy who sells whatever tree I walk up to. Same goes for people with wood pits outside. Now I can offer them a wood that will burn a little hotter, although faster, and they may be down for it because they just want to feel the heat and watch a flame for a couple hours. If they don't, I'll bring them regular hardwood. To me it's all about being up front and letting your customer know that you're looking out for their best interest. Next I'll be trying some silver maple for the same purpose as the hackberry. Everyone and their brother asks me if I want to cut up a tree that fell in their yard and 90% of the time it's Silver. I usually tell them I can't sell it because of low BTU, but maybe I can find a market for it when I do some research..

That brings me to a question too if anyone wants to answer: What do you consider mixed wood? I sell oak, hickory, ash, locust, mulberry and cherry at one semi-premium price. I'm thinking about raising my white oak, black locust, mulberry and hickory another $5 per load above the rest. I don't sell any "mixed," because I don't know what that means exactly, and I stay away from what I know isn't known as "good firewood" in these parts.

ALWAYS stack: I always stack my wood if I deliver it, unless it's just extremely unfeasible. I'll pleasantly argue until I'm blue in the face if someone is telling me not worry about stacking out of their own kindness. ":chainsaw:Listen, I'm full service!" is my favorite line. That'll usually get a good laugh then they'll give in. But of course if the stack is around a 5000sqft ranch home and I can't drive to it, and I know they have a 4-wheeler with a cart or something, I will give in too. At least they know you tried. Gets you some respect points, plus I'm just not lazy. And sometimes it'll get you a tip!

So what else are you guys doing?

I usually just slap myself on the ass and that makes my business stand out! Unless it's really cold!
:check:

ps . Just playing with ya! You guys that sell wood for a living are some tough dudes. A lot of work!

I believe the biggest thing that stands out for my sales has been longevity. I have probably been selling firewood in these parts for longer than anyone else. 85% of my customers are long term repeat customers. When they call, I know who they are, where they live and where they want the wood placed( I don't stack).

They know my firewood is dry, they do not need to ask, altho I can tell them exactly how dry it is if they want. Gotta love those Moisture Meters!

Ted

Speaking as a customer rather than a vendor, I have to admit price is king. Look, all those other things are nice-to-haves. But I don't heat with wood because I love hauling it around four times, stressing my back, and the occasional yellow-jacket sting. (OK, I do, but...) I heat with wood because it's the cheapest heat source, my wife likes it hot, and my kids like Legos for their birthdays. So if you're at $225/cord and the "other guy" is at $150/cord, guess who I'm gonna call?

That said, if the price is close, I pay REAL close attention to names from then on. I'll try just about anybody... once. But if I get short measure I'll be calling back, and if I'm not made right, I'll make noise. And tell everybody else I know who heats with wood. I know a lot of people who heat with wood. Short measure is VERY bad for business. I'm not going to whine about a few sticks when a cord is so vague (depending on how tight you stack) anyway. But if you're selling me "2 cords" and I stack it out and it's only 1.25 (like my last delivery), that's a problem.

Anything beyond that is candy. I'm a little on the edge of most guys' delivery radiuses. If you've got another customer you're delivering to nearby and you call me up and offer to waive a delivery fee if I double up on his order you're going to get a lot of my business.

Little things count for a lot to me - any small gesture (and a fair price for fair measure) and I'll be your customer forever. What's little? It doesn't take much - being willing to back in the driveway a little further before you dump, a bucket of scrap I can use as kindling, one guy throws in a few unsplit softwood rounds when he has them, no charge.

Let me explain something, I love wood, I love burning wood, I love working with wood, and I'm not a hugger but I get on pretty good with other people that like wood. I buy everything else from Amazon.com, but I like to have a good relationship with my wood suppliers. Give me a fair price, be friendly, give fair measure, and don't call it seasoned if it's only been sitting out for a month, and you've got me.

I hear those pallets are real popular in some parts. If I didn't have a gravel drive, and if I wasn't such a skinflint I suppose I might pay a bit extra for that convenience. Be nice to haul the entire thing into my garage. Maybe some day.

I hear those pallets are real popular in some parts. If I didn't have a gravel drive, and if I wasn't such a skinflint I suppose I might pay a bit extra for that convenience. Be nice to haul the entire thing into my garage. Maybe some day.

Like I said, no charge! Thanks for the post though, it's really all about knowing what the customer thinks. Btw, you sound like you probably already know this, but for everyone else: make sure you aren't risking paying some random guy $150 for 21 BTU wood instead of $200 for 28 BTU (same$/BTU) from someone whose service you already know is good

If I had some commercial land, a dump truck, splitter, pole barn, and conveyor, I might consider getting into it. Meanwhile, I just give it away to a friend with a big yard I can drive onto and dump on. I lend him a decent saw once a year to cut it up. Works for me, but I've probably given away 50 cords of mixed hardwood and softwood over the past few years.

I've tried raising money for my Scout troop selling firewood, but if I figured my hrs. , the troop would have gotten nada. At least the boys learned something about the value of hard work -- you get donuts, cocoa, and hot soup and get to have snowball fights (in between splitting and tossing wood around, sometimes through the back window of the truck...). :msp_angry: Got me to have a custom steel rack and expanded metal grate made for my Dakota.

Like I said, no charge! Thanks for the post though, it's really all about knowing what the customer thinks. Btw, you sound like you probably already know this, but for everyone else: make sure you aren't risking paying some random guy $150 for 21 BTU wood instead of $200 for 28 BTU (same$/BTU) from someone whose service you already know is good

It's a fair point... but only to an extent. We don't have Hedge in CT and Ironwood/Hickory are rare to come by. Oak, Maple, Ash, Elm, and Cherry are the most common (in that order, more or less) and they're all within a few points of each other on the BTU scale. I haven't found a single vendor who sorted those out (except when selling log - and they charged a premium to bring Oak not because of the heat but because it's in demand for ease of splitting).

This may be a regional thing because I know hardwood varies everywhere, but I don't spend much time thinking about it. It seems we have better luck around here trying to find vendors who bring a good mix. I like oak for long coaling, maple for quicker, hotter fires, the rest for mix-ins, and ash I sometimes set a bit extra aside green to burn in case I have an emergency and run out with one cold snap left in the season.

I thought of one other thing that makes vendors stand out to me - flexibility in delivery dates/times. I know you guys are on thin margins and busting your butts on hours.... But sometimes what puts me over the edge isn't a few bucks less a cord, it's just knowing you'll be by before the weekend. Because I work all kinds of crazy hours too (two jobs) and I only have one day to deal with the wood. It helps a lot if when you say "Friday" you mean it.

I think building a successful business is all about retaining customers. You can have 50 customers one year, but if you only keep 10% of them happy you'll be doing a lot worse than a guy who only gets, but keeps all of his 25 customers happy. First year or two might be light, but word gets around. We homeowners always talk to each other about where we get our word from. I can't imagine how you can be profitable stacking every order, but word will get around, that's for sure.

Oh, one more thing. Post on Craigslist. Yeah, you'll run into all sorts of people - but I'm one of those sorts, too. That's where I find a lot of my better deals, and if you've got an end-of-season special going to unload those last few cords I guarantee you I'll be calling within hours of your posting. Your mileage may vary, but it works for me.

To the OP, how much are you getting for a cord of wood and how does your price compare to other sellers in your area? How much are you selling and what are you looking to bump it up to?

I keep it simple: Honest cords, seasoned wood, cut to same length (16"). Return calls promptly and show up when you say.

Over the years I have fine tuned my repeat customer list a time or two. I have gotten rid of guys who, every dang time they call, they want to haggle price. My price is not a bid, it is a price, dang it! If you don't want to pay the price, kindly hang up the phone and call the next schmuck on your list. That's fine with me.

If you don't buy it, the next guy will, and at the end of the season I will have sold the same amount of wood. The only discounting I do is last years customers can still get the same price this year as last.

I sell only red oak, split nicely, with clean pieces of wood. No little twigs hanging on there, no overly odd shaped pieces, and same length within an inch, no forks. They look like firewood is supposed to look.

I better quit before I get all wound up and tell you what I really think about people who try to low ball me on my firewood.:angry: I'd be off to banned camp for sure!

When you try to make me take a lesser price for my firewood, what your really doing is trying to get me to work for less money per hour. I am pretty sure you wouldn't accept a cut in pay either.

Over 30 years of selling firewood makes it easy to spot a BS'er. I've gotten grouchy over the years too, so getting rid of cheapskate customers has gotten pretty easy. Especially those who think they know more about my firewood than I do!

I sell around 100 full cords of wood each year. Working by myself and working a full time seasonal job besides. I do not want to get bigger, just maintain what I do now.

Ted

If I bought fire wood. I think I would want a Variety of wood. I don't like just red oak. If I only had red oak, I wouldn't like burning as much. There is something to say for mixing the load. I would probably pay more for a mix.

Last edited:
I have been selling firewood for the last 15 years or so. I usually do around 15-20 cord per year depending on the supply of wood. I have a bunch of people that call back every year, and some new customers from others ads. Around here I get $300 a cord, along with a few other big firewood guys. I try and get the same as them, if not a little more. I stack and cover all my wood so it is dry when I deliver it. I would not put anything on my truck that I would not want delivered to my house if I burnt wood. I know what a cord of wood looks like and that is what I deliver. What makes it hard is trying to compete with the $250 cords of wood on CL out there. I try and explain to people the extra effort I go through to keep my wood clean and dry, but sometimes they want the lowest number.

I just went back and forth with a guy from CL last week. He asked how much for a cord, I said $300. He replies, no thanks to many people on here selling unseasoned wood. I go back and say the wood in the picture on CL of my stacks are what is actually for sale, he comes back and says yeah yeah, I have been burnt twice this year on wood. I said that is the bad thing about Cl, is the bad guys giving the good ones a bad reputation. I left it alone after that.

I still have about 5-7 cords left that I can't get rid of. They are going to be in my way shortly. I have dropped my price just to move them. I can't figure out after last years winter people have wood leftover and are hesitant to buy more or what. I usually always get rid of my wood.

I still have about 5-7 cords left that I can't get rid of. They are going to be in my way shortly. I have dropped my price just to move them. I can't figure out after last years winter people have wood leftover and are hesitant to buy more or what. I usually always get rid of my wood.

Don't forget Sandy. I don't know how MA is doing up there, but down in CT everybody has extra floating around from the storm. Plus, although we've had some snow now, it's still warm like last winter. We actually overheated the house here, had it up to 80 just trying to keep a tiny fire going so we didn't have to re-start it, and finally let it die out for 5 hours Sunday to let the house cool down! In January!

To the OP, how much are you getting for a cord of wood and how does your price compare to other sellers in your area? How much are you selling and what are you looking to bump it up to?

I keep it simple: Honest cords, seasoned wood, cut to same length (16"). Return calls promptly and show up when you say.

Alright, since you asked, I'm ready to wear the shame blanket: I just sell mine one short bed s-10 truck load at a time, or long bed full size Chevy when I can get a hold of the truck. People around here don't buy by the cord, nobody even really knows what a cord is. I swear everyone around here thinks a face cord is a cord, so I just stay away from the word. I guess the moderate temps keep people from having to burn enough to think in measure of cords. Both loads tossed in and slightly over level, S-10:$35, full size: $70. I was going to raise my prices $5 for any new customers over 3 mi, but I caved this year due to some personal stuff, didn't get enough wood put together so I'm not taking new customers or raising prices. Also, the load size is why I always stack... I guess I didn't think in terms of delivering :bowdown:100 cords a year when it comes to stacking vs. dumping. Although, using the right handy equipment to save your back/arms, you could make a little more $ if the customers were willing to pay, and you had time.

I have one of those "Loadhandlers" for my truck, and just that some how, some way wood would unload from that sucker like everything else. Btw, in case any of you are doubters, those thing are amazing! They seriously t ake all effort out of unloading whatever kind of gravel and such you want dump. I thought they were a joke until I picked one up at a yard sale for $20 just to give it a whirl. Changed my life :msp_mellow:

roberthathaway7
You mentioned that you stack the wood on mine belting. Do you have a good source for more? I just bought some off CL a few weeks ago to cover my outside stacks with, it was a little pricey. I'd like to find more, but it's gotta be cheaper. I bet there's plenty of it that ends up in the trash or at least sold cheap. Thanks!

BTW, sounds like you're doing a bang up job there!

roberthathaway7
You mentioned that you stack the wood on mine belting. Do you have a good source for more? I just bought some off CL a few weeks ago to cover my outside stacks with, it was a little pricey. I'd like to find more, but it's gotta be cheaper. I bet there's plenty of it that ends up in the trash or at least sold cheap. Thanks!

BTW, sounds like you're doing a bang up job there!

I thank you, sir. The belting I get because I know so many people working at the mines.. some of the guys working "on top" can take a roll of the used stuff home if they want as long as they ask their boss. I usually work out some trade with them like a few gallons of spoobill fillets or something. The kind I get you don't want to put on top of anything though! It's all I can do to grad 10 foot lengths around. It's mostly the heavy duty stuff. There is lighter though which I'm sure is what you have. An old miner tip: the easiest way to drag that stuff around (esp the heavy stuff) is a pair or two of channelocks, grab and drag. For a while there I was having a heck of a time moving it, and was asking a miner if he had any old belt punches so I could punch some holes and tie some ropes on for handles, and he was like uhhh...channellocks? - Oh. :bang: Doesn't sound impressive, but I never realized how channellocks make a natural vice-grip/handle if you're pulling with them

If you're in a coal mining area, I would put an ad out on craigslist asking for it in the materials section, and the "sporting" section. "Sporting" because that's where you're coal miners are likely going to be pilfering around looking for hunting/fishing gear, and that's who you want to see it

Last edited:
I wondering what everyone does to make their business stand above the rest? I am small-time in the firwood business and plan to expand this next year and want to do it right. Here's some of what I do...

You might consider checking out the National Firewood Association ;)

https://nationalfirewoodassociation.org

We started our company with the goal of helping you do just what you're considering: expanding your business. Give us a phone call: we'll see what we can do for you and point you in the right direction if you're not a candidate for an NFA membership!

You might consider checking out the National Firewood Association ;)

https://nationalfirewoodassociation.org

We started our company with the goal of helping you do just what you're considering: expanding your business. Give us a phone call: we'll see what we can do for you and point you in the right direction if you're not a candidate for an NFA membership!

Thank you!! This is great

"free range organic firewood"

It would probably work!! hahahah

Latest posts

Back