Any bulletproof newer Pro saws out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How RELIABLE have your newer saws been?

• GREAT - No issues - love my newer saw!

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Pretty DECENT - only 1 or 2 small issues, nothing major

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • SO SO - Considerable issue(s)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • NOT GOOD - LARGE issue(s)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • LOUSY - this new junk really sucks!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Reaction score
I'm looking for some unscientific feedback on the RELIABILITY of any/all newer (let's say 2010 and newer) mostly pro series saws.

In this era of throw away stuff, planned obsolescence and new tech, when you consider plunking down serious money for performance and longevity in a saw, and then have some completely unexpected catastrophic failures, even though you maintain your saws very well, inquiring minds want to know if there is still anything out there that appears to be more bulletproof than others.

I completely get that any things mechanical can break, and I'm certainly not looking to stir the pot, point fingers or create any brand arguments. It would just be nice to hear from those who have run their saws at least reasonably hard, yet are thoroughly satisfied and have experienced little grief and few failures at all.

Thanks in advance for the conversation and feedback.

I have about 10 gallons of fuel through my dolmar 6100 I'm the last 6 months. I know that is not much to how some use a saw but I can tell I have never made this thing break a sweat. I also have a MS 192 that is a year old now and although I have had no problems it doesn't feel like it will take years of abuse. Guess I will find out though. Hope this helps.

2011 562xp with no issue, but it has less than 30 tanks through it. I know you've had problems with yours, but there are many out there with no issues at all.

If I was needing a new saw right now, I'd be looking for a new or like new 357xp. This saw is the reason my 562 hasn't been run so much.

my ms 192 fell out of the bucket truck today. 40 feet. runs great. 2 or 3 hundred tanks of fuel used. its a good saw, lets call it a light pro.

my ms 192 fell out of the bucket truck today. 40 feet. runs great. 2 or 3 hundred tanks of fuel used. its a good saw, lets call it a light pro.
I like to hear that, we'll kind of. No one wants to see a saw take a 40ft drop.

they should all be pretty damn reliable cutting a few cords of firewood a year. under heavy use they all break down especially huskies :D

This husky has been especially unreliable. Stupid thing has 2 years production on it and then all the sudden it jumped out in front of a tree. What a POS!

ade409525da8750ab4aaf3f9f3a55dfd.jpg

2011 562xp with no issue, but it has less than 30 tanks through it. I know you've had problems with yours, but there are many out there with no issues at all.

If I was needing a new saw right now, I'd be looking for a new or like new 357xp. This saw is the reason my 562 hasn't been run so much.

Was looking at a 357xp couple years back but let it go. :buttkick:
Haven't seen anything since.

All brands have some very dependable saws and many not so good ones. They key is to know what models to buy from what brands. Like the Wolf says the MS461 is pretty hard to beat in that class but when you ask this question many see it as an opportunity to bash a brand and say how good their favourite brand is. Sawyers with the best lineup of saws will not let the color or badge type get in the way of buying whats best for a particular task. Many said when saws went from metal tanks/handles/covers to plastic that these 'new' poor quality plastic saws would not last, but quite the opposite has prooven to be the case. Choose the right models selectively and run/maintain them properly and your chances of long service life are much better.

Love my new 261 (last year) and have had no problems with it. Matter of fact, I have an 260 PRO, maybe 5 years old, and that runs like a top too. 440 just had a new spark plug put into it after 8-10 years and it's like it was out of the box. None of these saws run daily but at least two days a week for the 260/261.

I have no experience with Sthil saws although I am sure they are very nice saws. I own a few Husky saws.

I know it is a no brainier but a 372xp or 357xp with a Muff Mod ran at 32:1 should be a very reliable choice. Those saws are legendary in my part of Canada.

JF

All brands have some very dependable saws and many not so good ones. They key is to know what models to buy from what brands. Like the Wolf says the MS461 is pretty hard to beat in that class but when you ask this question many see it as an opportunity to bash a brand and say how good their favourite brand is. Sawyers with the best lineup of saws will not let the color or badge type get in the way of buying whats best for a particular task. Many said when saws went from metal tanks/handles/covers to plastic that these 'new' poor quality plastic saws would not last, but quite the opposite has prooven to be the case. Choose the right models selectively and run/maintain them properly and your chances of long service life are much better.

I'm brand agnostic as I've had both Stihl, Husky, Pioneer and Partner in past years. Reliability and longevity are now more important to me than absolute max speed. Choosing the right models is a good plan ... hope this thread can help narrow those down without causing any world saw wars ;)

People who cut firewood full time for a living will likely have the best answers for this question.
I hear Husqvarna 460 as often as I hear of any other saw in this area. As mentioned above the ms261 is a really solid saw. And if you think about it... neither of them spend much time on the bench in a shop. And I don't remember much mention of either in the forums for troubleshooting problems.
Though the 460 is considered a rancher and not pro, it is still a saw that can handle professional use without babying it.

346s, 5100s, 7900s, they have all been top notch and trouble free. Four tanks went through a 346 today without problem, it is a ported 2010 saw.

I am intrigued by the autotune saws. Done right it would seem like they could be really good. Then you keep hearing about software issues, carbs that stumble, things of that sort...

346s, 5100s, 7900s, they have all been top notch and trouble free. Four tanks went through a 346 today without problem, it is a ported 2010 saw.

I am intrigued by the autotune saws. Done right it would seem like they could be really good. Then you keep hearing about software issues, carbs that stumble, things of that sort...

Ya love my 346xp - rock solid!

Latest posts

Back