any chain sharpening tips for cutting phoenix palm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmynz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My boss is too cheap to dump a big phoenix log so the young fulla has to rip it up into chippables.
It was a prick just crosscutting,as I'm sure ya'll have encountered.

:deadhorse:

My boss is too cheap to dump a big phoenix log so the young fulla has to rip it up into chippables.
It was a prick just crosscutting,as I'm sure ya'll have encountered.

:deadhorse:

I like how you always rag on your boss. Is it a a big date palm? Do you need to stump grind? Why was it removed? Diseased or un-desirable? Dang palm is alot of money to dump here where I live (and enjoy living), but we gotta lot of palms. I try to raise the price on palms, but they still go for bottom dollar.
BTW- "the young fulla's" need this experience, live it and love it or at least don't cry about it.
Jeff :)
Always freindly!:)

Just a nice sharp chain on a decent sized saw is all you need. Just ring it up same as you would any other log then noodle the rings in half to fit through the chipper. You'll need a pretty big chipper to eat phoenix palm slabs. Make sure you wash the saw out afterwards or the acid from the palm will wreck it

push the basturd off the edge of a cliff or dump it in a hole some where.

is there any thick s**** round your way like we have in auckland, cut it up stack it on side of the road put sign on it, up here it generally last about a hour and some asain guy or indian (from india for the americans) picks up its awesome haha

Ha yeah there's no easy way to deal with phoenix really.
@treeops we tried to use the treescape hole,got a few mates working there but even their charlie price was too much. I couldn't do the firewood palm off to one nosey parker, I asked him if he wanted any firewood and he said " Really?", my heart wasn't in it. Plus palmy's way too small to try that on!

@jeff I hear ya on the palm tree pricing, epescially on phoenix palms, I dunno if you have them in you neck of the woods? phoenix canariensis. Nasty nasty.
I mainly was after tips in case I got stitched up and had to do it myself!

cheers @ jimmy wizard, we spent a good 40 min sorting out the saws after we dealt with it, even overnight the 88 sidecover was melllting.

Latest posts

Back