Any downside to a block-out face cut for control?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how many years did you log for.

There is a lot of difference between logging and falling timber. Logging is a general term, with a multitude of various jobs. I did several different types of tree falling, general forestry like fuel breaks, hazard removal, fire-line stuff, commercial timber from Lodgepole to OG Redwood and my personal favorite, eh, sport falling, where I looked for the biggest, nastiest snags and old hardwoods to "practice" on.
Due to a few things, some beyond my control, (like insanity) I roamed Northern California going from job to job for about 14 years. It wasn't all glorious, but I was given chances to fall just about any type of tree there was. Keep in mind, it wasn't 14 years of timber falling, I set chokers, chased landing, cut brush/slash, drove trucks (and crashed them) fought wild fires.... Sometimes there was good money to be made, most of which went down a rat-hole that was my lifestyle.
The best part of the whole thing, besides causing noisy events, were the men I worked with, some of them make me seem like a schoolgirl in comparison. Can't leave out all the wonderful places, the sights, the scenery, the acres of splintered wood and chewed earth. The scents of Mother Earth being, ahhh, utilized. Yes, all the garden spots, like Yeagar Creek.

I realize about the root swell and I know sometimes you have to cut out a notch just to stand on . But in that pic whats the reason ? It's just another cut to make and another piece to pick up . It don't make sence

Sorry my bad , I didn't realize the pic was in the woods and not a dooryard tree. You see, this is all I have done all my life. I have 39 years now both logging and arborist work.So I do have an extensive background in these fields.

That is a good resume.

Have you ever worked on 80% ground?

Try to picture walking around a tree where you cannot reach the tree/ground interface on the uphill side when you are on the downhill side because it is above your head.

And there you have it...high stumps.

That is a good resume.

Have you ever worked on 80% ground?

Try to picture walking around a tree where you cannot reach the tree/ground interface on the uphill side when you are on the downhill side because it is above your head.

And there you have it...high stumps.

Yes I have logged in New Hampshire in parts that are verry steep but I'm not talking about on steep hills i'm talking about flat ground.

OP: Make sure you don't bypass your cuts or you will lose all or most of the effect. Also where you put your face in proximity to roots swells and what not will effect it. You'll want a higher stump in the straight grain for this one. Sometimes getting a tree off the stump quickly will save it out better.

The full face dutch and heart snip has become a good friend of mine. She'll roll and drift right through standing timber. You've got to get the face and snipe just right if you need decent control though. Once shes committed its all over.

Randy and Bob have been in the game so long they both started out working in Paul Bunyan's kitchen flipping pancakes with a snow shovel and feeding Babe grain out of a steam shovel :msp_biggrin:

Some of Bob's stumps are on display at the Petrified Forest Museum.

This one of mine is now a major stop on the sightseeing tour on the Ave.

trip009.jpg

Back