Any downside to a block-out face cut for control?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy and Bob have been in the game so long they both started out working in Paul Bunyan's kitchen flipping pancakes with a snow shovel and feeding Babe grain out of a steam shovel :msp_biggrin:

Yup...we've been around so many years that we remember when the Sierra Nevada Mountains were only three feet high. :)

Last edited:
success

Well, I brought down the poplar yesterday, and it went great. I ended up cutting the stump a higher than normal, since the bottom of the tree was a little crooked and I wanted the block face cut to be above that.

I made the face cut, and the block popped right out with one hit from the axe (gotta love poplar). My only flaw was leaving the hinge too thick -- after tapping in all of my wedges, I had to bore back in and remove a little more hinge before the tree went over. So that cost me a $5 wedge and sprayed some orange chips, but no big deal.

Once the back cut was right, the tree went over smooth as silk and very slow, and landed right where I wanted. There was a lot of groaning from the hinge fibers that I haven't heard with a regular wedge face.

Thanks to all that gave input.

Well, I brought down the poplar yesterday, and it went great. I ended up cutting the stump a higher than normal, since the bottom of the tree was a little crooked and I wanted the block face cut to be above that.

I made the face cut, and the block popped right out with one hit from the axe (gotta love poplar). My only flaw was leaving the hinge too thick -- after tapping in all of my wedges, I had to bore back in and remove a little more hinge before the tree went over. So that cost me a $5 wedge and sprayed some orange chips, but no big deal.

Once the back cut was right, the tree went over smooth as silk and very slow, and landed right where I wanted. There was a lot of groaning from the hinge fibers that I haven't heard with a regular wedge face.

Thanks to all that gave input.

:clap:

Back