Any experience with Sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatsby174

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have access to some free sycamore for firewood. Anybody burn it before? How does it burn? Easy to light? I checked the sticky and it said med for both, but i wanted to see how others liked burning it. Whattya think?
JC

Its extremely heavy when fresh and quite the opposite when dry. Logs of any significant size are a real PITA to split.

My experience would say low medium for burn. I can get all the free sycamore I want and if I couldn't get anything else I'd take it.

TreeCo said:
At least take what will fit in your stove unsplit. Big sycamore crotches are tough to split.

You can't beat the price. I say go for it. All wood gives off good heat.

Jotul CBF600

attachment.php
Amen Brotha if it's free it's for me!!! I'll take almost anything if it's free!! BTU's is the name of the game. might take a little longer to split but that's why they make splitters and chainsaws right?

I like Sycamore, but that's just me. A lot of people I know turn their noses up at it. One buddy says that it smells like "wet grass" when you split it. It's very heavy when wet, light when dry; but it burns easily and throws medium heat. I'd say if it's free, and you don't have any other wood choices right now, take it. It's a bear to split, and can even give a splitter a tough time. Good luck!

Update!

Just wanted to pass along that I have been using Sycamore lately for kindling and small-splits to get a fire going and it works very well. It ignites very easily and quickly gets the fire going without much trouble. Burns a little fast with medium-low BTU'S as a fuelwood, but as kindling it's working very well. You might want to try it for this purpose. :)

Back