Any firewood you won't take (cut)for free

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am currently cutting maple, white Oak, cherry, hickory, red oak & Locust. That is about all I burn in my stove. Everything else goes into my fire pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey old buddy. One neighbor had 5 giant Cherries taken down last fall. All said I got 8 cord split and stacked. Plus 4 pickup loads of shorts and uglies I was going to put on the burn pile. My cousin had a fit when he saw me burning all those short pieces of Cherry, so every time I got a pile big enough to clean up, I called him. The tree service the neighbor used are related to his wife, and only charged him labor for the men. So when I asked about the wood he saw dollar signs going back into his bank account. Only problem was you could see where his guys marked all the logs at 14”, and I cut my wood at 18”. Had lots of shorts waisted . I just took down 2 30” Red Oaks for another neighbor, finished dumping that on my wood pile yesterday. I’m not a wood snob, but when all you have is good wood, whacha gonna do? I actually burned my first Ash about 4 years ago. A farmer friend lost 70 big Ash on her farm, most on fence lines. I took about ten cord a year from her place. Most of what’s left is starting to rot, so I’m back to my Oak sources.

I will not take wood with Toxicodendron vines on it, that is Poison lvy, poison oak, poison Sumac (not in the sumac family).
All others I will take, wood will burn & pine works well for fire pits as oak does.

I don't cut or use any Boxelder, not much Pine or Spruce either except for kindling.
I do cut and season some Poplar, Aspen and Birch for campfire wood sales.
For my own firewood I mostly cut and burn Ash, Maple, Oak, Elm, Hickory, Cherry, and if i can find it, Hop Hornbeam.

Here in the Trinity Alps (Nor Cal) pine is usually left behind. Most folks don't want it. Now with a Blaze King, I'm happy to burn pine. Easy to get 12-14 hour burns with pine. So I'm happy with the easy pickings.

Here in the Trinity Alps (Nor Cal) pine is usually left behind. Most folks don't want it. Now with a Blaze King, I'm happy to burn pine. Easy to get 12-14 hour burns with pine. So I'm happy with the easy pickings.
My experience as well with the Blaze King. Love burning pine. Dry's quickly. Leaves almost zero ash. No excessive coaling when pushing the stove. Nobody wants it!

My experience as well with the Blaze King. Love burning pine. Dry's quickly. Leaves almost zero ash. No excessive coaling when pushing the stove. Nobody wants it!
I don't mind burning pine. I mix it or use it to burn coals down. When dry it burns good and gets a nice secondary burn going that cranks some heat. I have found some poplar at the back of the wood shed and it does not burn nearly as hot or as well.

Cottonwood stays where it falls unless its in the way. Where I live never dries out. My property is mostly shaded all year and we have some swampy areas. For that reason I like Fir, Pine, Alder, Maple, Madrone, and Hemlock. They dry out the best in my environment and are easily obtained.

I have a clever buddy. He takes all the free cottonwood or other trees he can get, cuts everything to 12", splits and bundles. $10 per small bundle and sells them on the dirt roads in the National Forest near camp grounds. He sells out every time in a matter of a few hours. Just bought a small trailer to increase daily sales! Not everyone wants to heat their home with wood....but it can still create a nice retirement income.

All I have is pine to burn, it's funny to hear people hate on it. I have heated with pine for years with not a second thought. It's easy to process and it burns hot.

No complaints from me...

Latest posts

Back