Any help installing a wood burning stove would be appreciated

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're making all of this much harder than it needs to be! It's easy enough to install a woodstove through the roof, take it out and return the house to original condition with the new buyers not even realizing there was a stove there.
I did it with my last house, the only reason I took it out was the whole house was only 800 square feet total, kind of took up a lot space when you're living that small! That place would be like an oven with the windows open in the winter though:biggrinbounce2:

So I made a pedestal for my stove:

2010-11-27_18-04-11_179.jpg

Here is the elbow grease that I put into it:

2010-11-30_19-44-12_428.jpg

And here it is all welded up together:

2010-12-05_08-51-35_348.jpg

Here is the spot I've marked off to put the stove pad, and then the stove:

2010-11-27_05-57-54_42.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on all the parts to get here. I had the replace the 3 speed motor, as the old one was way too noisy to have in the house ($100). I can't wait to get this thing put in. It's already down to the 20's all this week. I need some fire!

So I made a pedestal for my stove:

2010-11-27_18-04-11_179.jpg

Here is the elbow grease that I put into it:

2010-11-30_19-44-12_428.jpg

And here it is all welded up together:

2010-12-05_08-51-35_348.jpg

Here is the spot I've marked off to put the stove pad, and then the stove:

2010-11-27_05-57-54_42.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on all the parts to get here. I had the replace the 3 speed motor, as the old one was way too noisy to have in the house ($100). I can't wait to get this thing put in. It's already down to the 20's all this week. I need some fire!

Super craftsmanship, we are impressed. Nice job !:rockn:

BUTT ? With all this expert ( :bowdown: ) advice to go simple, through the roof, you chose all this effort and $$$ with potentially little return ?
Just asking.

1. Have you checked the requirements for clearance to combustibles with this stove? Raising this stove 4' and then putting it on a covered porch would not seem to meet the ceiling clearance requirements.

2. Have you checked with your local codes and homeowners insurance company to get their blessing on this install? Reason I ask is (specifically the insurance question) if not to code and there is property damage any loss may not be covered by your insurance.

Shari

you can go out the wall and send the pipe up the outside of the house.

I'm not one for cutting thru the roof either! Mine is in the basement, so I cut thru the concrete foundation, put in a tee and sent it up the outside.

Just a thought

That old piece of steel isn't worth this much effort. It's been far surpassed by the new wood stoves.

Looks like you're doing a first rate job though!

Take that as a compliment. especially if it came from him ^^^^

bolted to floor? looks scary 2me!

No, it won't be bolted to the floor, no need. It weighs about 450lbs, and the base that I welded to it is about 110lbs itself, 1/2" thick diamond plate. The base is deeper and wider than the stove, and it sits 42" at the top, and it ain't going no where. I appreciate the concern though.

No the door won't be making it past the tall hearth pad either, so it won't be hitting the stove.

2010-11-24_14-53-37_72.jpg

So I went and picked this sweet little deal up from a craiglist posting yesterday. Now im back to an inside installation. I think im going to make a steel pipe stool about four feet tall for it. Its a fireplace insert. A 1980 model Buck stove. I think its beautiful.

My parents had one of those. Not a very big firebox, doesn't burn very long. Starts chimney fires well though. I hope you didn't pay more than scrap price.

Before you ran out and bought a stove, I wish you had asked advice. I don't like seeing people buy something they won't be happy with. There is a lot of collective knowledge here that is available to you, take advantage of it.

Basically, I can tell you up until sometime in the late 80's, there were not many efficient woodstoves available. One of the few I am familiar with is the Jotul 118 my parents bought new in 1974 or so. When they moved in 1978 they got a Buck stove like yours with the house. They ran it one year and had 3 chimney fires in that one year. Those stoves make a lot of creosote. I remember that spring, my mother called a mason and had 16,000 pounds of fireplace ripped out and a 24" square brick chimney with a clay liner put in so she could have her Jotul back. She never had another chimney fire either. Between the oil furnace and the Jotul, the Jotul supplied about 98% of the heat for that home. 3 years ago when my parents sold the house, the Jotul went with it. 30+ years is a long time to run a stove but that's what you get when you buy quality. The guy that bought the house still runs that old Jotul 118 with the green enamel finish.

Here's the stove like they had:

attachment.php

Not a very big firebox, doesn't burn very long. Starts chimney fires well though. I hope you didn't pay more than scrap price.
yeah, the firebox is a little of a bummer, but the thing looked so beautiful and perfectly sized (or so I thought) for my living room... $240.

I plan on keeping a real close eye on the chimney, as i'll be putting a lot of green wood in it to start. Good to know.
Before you ran out and bought a stove, I wish you had asked advice.

You're making me wish I had. Oh well, we'll see how it does I guess. I can always get something else later if I don't like it.

Best part of any stove is the glass that lets u see how the fire is burning. EPA 2ndary tubes allow for bigger load in the firebox but most peeps dont understand them.

Best part of any stove is the glass that lets u see how the fire is burning. EPA 2ndary tubes allow for bigger load in the firebox but most peeps dont understand them.

yeah glass is an option, i've looked into it. Feel free to link me up on the 'epa 2ndary tubes'.

Well the stuff came in a day late at Lowes, so I had to install it last night (chimney stuff, hole in the roof) from 8pm to midnight. It was supposed to be raining the next day, and then I had to work for the next 4 days, and then rain was forecast for the following four days that I was off, so I got to do the install in 40ish weather in the dark. Thank goodness for ladders and worklights. Lemmie tell you that an 8/12 pitch roof doesn't look that steep until you have to work on it.

Thanks for the advice and for talking me out of that dumb idea of putting it on the patio. This thing rocks out some serious heat. Good thing too, as the 'high' for the next several days is 31*F. I still have to move it here or there an inch to get it perfect, and I haven't trimmed the ceiling box yet, but it's in and functional, and I'm very happy. So far it's held out the rain as well, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed on that too!

2010-12-11_15-57-13_970.jpg

2010-12-11_04-01-57_860.jpg

Just curious what your total investment is with this install? I just had a brand new regency installed with pipe and everything for $2900.

Back