any husky 65 or 77 fans out there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stouthaus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
interested in parts or parts saws. let me know if you have any. thanks ED One should note these saw are 30 years old and the reason husqvarna is so strong in the US. (along with the motocross machines. and we are still looking for parts. gosh these saws are strong. REMEMBER our MOTTO! IF THEY MAKE A BETTER SAW, I DON'T NEED IT!

Last edited:
L 77 Fan

ED

I'm a big fan of the Husky 77 saws- bought my first one in 1978 and still use the saw. Currently have 4 L77 saws and 1 part saw. Is there a particular part you are looking for? I buy parts here and on Ebay- I have used the IWanna newspaper classifieds looking for L77s- theres quite a few L65s on Ebay too. Good luck with your search.

I just semi-retired mine earlier this year, started running a little hot and then one day started leaking fuel when on it's side cutting.

Ran great just heated up enough to boil the as in the tank.

I needed to finish a job so I went and bought a 94 cc saw.

Now I have been playing with a few 371's , but when I get done with that I'm going to get her back in running shape!

Here are some pictures

Last edited:
ED

I'm a big fan of the Husky 77 saws- bought my first one in 1978 and still use the saw. Currently have 4 L77 saws and 1 part saw. Is there a particular part you are looking for? I buy parts here and on Ebay- I have used the IWanna newspaper classifieds looking for L77s- theres quite a few L65s on Ebay too. Good luck with your search.

Hey pickwood, does the handle off a 65 fit a 77? I have a 77 with a pretzeled handle that I have been meaning to get on the bench. Are the mufflers interchangeable? How hard are the chainbrake clutch covers to find?

Hey pickwood, does the handle off a 65 fit a 77? I have a 77 with a pretzeled handle that I have been meaning to get on the bench. Are the mufflers interchangeable? How hard are the chainbrake clutch covers to find?

The IPLs are still on the UK Husky web-site......:clap: :clap:

...and hopefully Mange/Magnus will see this thread soon.......

I have seen pictures of his 77 on the collectors forum and his list of huskys he put up on AS. All I have to say... WOW.

I have downloaded the IPL for both. The handles carry different part numbers, but the look the same. Same for the muffler.

Question On Ordering Parts From Europe

WOULD THE SHIPPING COST NOT BE TOO HIGH. WHEN ORDERING THING LIKE HANDLES AND SUCH? LIKE HOW MUCH SINCE I HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED THAT OPTION, AND HOW ABOUT THE CONVERSION RATE? JUST WONDERING. THANKS ed 65 HUSKY = 65 CORVETTE COLLECTIBLE AND POWERFUL 77? OH! THAT'S A BIG BLOCK ed

B200
The handles and mufflers should change out fine- there are a couple of different mufflers but either would work fine. Almost anything concerning the chainbrakes is hard to find- many people stripped them off when Huskie came out with them. None of my saws have chainbrakes. Hope this helps.

I just listed a 65 on ebay. It's complete with good compression but no spark.

They can switch most parts as stated here earlier.

I have never seen any of these with chainbreake. They were replaced here almost as soon as the 180/160 came out.
They were sold on Export only after 1978 up til 1984 I belive. They stuck around for a long tome.

Not the best saw IMO, but looks good in any collection!

L65

I bought my L65 in 1977 for $430 my neighbor bought his at the same time. I sharpened his yesterday. Both saws run fine. My mother-in-law has one too. Hers had been sitting a long time. I cleaned the gas tank and put a new fuel line and filter on it. It runs good now. We had 75mph winds here in Crawford Co. Indiana Sunday. The sun was shineing and it blew for 3-4 hours. Still no electricity [Thursday]. Trees down and twisted everywhere. All saws are getting a good workout. Plenty of firewood for all. I do not burn wood. I use a geothermal heatpump. Heating and cooling last year was $320 plus an unknown amount of hot water.

They can switch most parts as stated here earlier.

I have never seen any of these with chainbreake. They were replaced here almost as soon as the 180/160 came out.
They were sold on Export only after 1978 up til 1984 I belive. They stuck around for a long tome.

Not the best saw IMO, but looks good in any collection!

Hmmmmm, I thought you loved them........:confused:

:cheers:

one of my 65's has a chainbrake. I'll see if i can get a pic or two.

Mangus,

I gotta know why you are bad mouthing the L77? :) Looks good in a collection? You have to do better than that-:) The L 77 in the 70s and 80s was the saw for pulp(bow bars) and logging in the Carolinas(USA)-they took a beating and keep going strong. The guys I worked with provided their own saws and usually bought a new one every year-back then we cut and hauled about 50k-60k bd ft a week with 3 people and 3 tractor trailers hauling to mill.:greenchainsaw:

These were good saws, at the time. Don't get me wrong here, but they were replaced fast with better saws for those who used saws proffessionaly.

These saws had issues, same as all others had of simular design.
And were very good in winter time when it was really cold, but not that good in spring and fall in shifting temp's.

The 65 came out in -66 a year late as they had too much problems. Vibrations, sound and the balance was to high.
This was corrected and the saw became much better.
When compare these with the 180 (-69), 160 (-70), 140 (-73) that came after it is easy to see why they were replaced as work saws.

When the 65-77 production moved to Tomos factory (Jogoslavia) in -73 to -74, they were out dated here and did not sell to the professionals since a couple of years.

These were good saws, at the time. Don't get me wrong here, but they were replaced fast with better saws for those who used saws proffessionaly.

And were very good in winter time when it was really cold, but not that good in spring and fall in shifting temp's.

The 65 came out in -66 a year late as they had too much problems. Vibrations, sound and the balance was to high.
When compare these with the 180 (-69), 160 (-70), 140 (-73) that came after it is easy to see why they were replaced as work saws.

When the 65-77 production moved to Tomos factory (Jogoslavia) in -73 to -74, they were out dated here and did not sell to the professionals since a couple of years.

I believe that is the truth - but earlier I got the impression that you liked the 65 - guess I was wrong...:cheers:

I do like it, but there came out better saws fast as people were tired of the problems the one body design had.

It is a nice saw that deserved all the sales and then some, at the time!
It erned its reputation and put HVA on the map world wide.
It was a very good saw when comparing it with simular saws.

But to compare this with the later 180's or today's saws is not fair. It would loose greatly. So would most all of the saws we keep in collection.

Was it common for them to overheat in summer temperatures?

Latest posts

Back