Any idea how to calculate how many cords from a pile of logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just a rough idea or rough formula would be fine. I've got a couple piles of logs that were stacked with a tractor and a grapple bucket (one log at a time) and I'm curious.

FWIW, 2 logs were laid down 90° to the pile, and the rest piled on top so the bottom layer isn't on the ground.

Both piles are roughly 8' tall, all logs are roughly 14' long. One pile is 26' deep the other is 36' deep (front to back). Logs are 12"-14" dia up to about 36" -38" dia. Red Oak, White Oak, Pin Oak, Sugar/Red Maple. Possibly some 12" dia Black Cherry too.

8'X14'x62'/128=54.25 cords. The 62 is 26 and 36 added together. 22.75 cords in the 26' pile and 31.5 cords in the 36 ' pile. This is assuming all logs are straight and tightly packed. Dang that's a lot of wood.

015.JPG

not a chance, unless your talking face cords, that truck is unloading 16 footers at least 8 foot high, maybe 10, and its 20 to 25 feet wide 13 cubic, maybe14.
The pile in front is 8' long red oak and 50 feet long, 10 foot high and 17.5 cubic.
I don't have a clear shot after the truck but I will tomorrow morning

Log diameter in feet divided by 2 then multiplied by it's self (radius squared) X 3.14 X the length in feet gives the approximate volume of one log. Divide the volume by 70 to 85 (depending on how tight you stack wood) to get the number of cords of wood per log. 128 cubic feet is not the volume of the wood in a cord, it is the volume of wood and air in a cord. Generally split wood will have about 70 cubic feet of solid wood per cord.

Log diameter in feet divided by 2 then multiplied by it's self (radius squared) X 3.14 X the length in feet gives the approximate volume of one log. Divide the volume by 70 to 85 (depending on how tight you stack wood) to get the number of cords of wood per log. 128 cubic feet is not the volume of the wood in a cord, it is the volume of wood and air in a cord. Generally split wood will have about 70 cubic feet of solid wood per cord.

Woodchuck, my math is crappy. One Red Oak log that is down. 54" across at the butt, 32" across at the other end. 34' long. No rot. Cut at small end was made right below the first limb. How many cubic feet in that one log?

I can't see making a solid red oak log of that size into firewood when it would be worth much more made into lumber, but a log of that size should stack up about four and a half cords.

Woodchuck, my math is crappy. One Red Oak log that is down. 54" across at the butt, 32" across at the other end. 34' long. No rot. Cut at small end was made right below the first limb. How many cubic feet in that one log?
342.88 and in my operation that would make 3 (slightly religious) cords.
mill that log, boards are worth more.

342.88 and in my operation that would make 3 (slightly religious) cords.
mill that log, boards are worth more.
I agree, but the logs location (a good 1/2 mile from any road) puts a serious damper in getting it out whole. I don't know of anyone around here that has a set up that can cut the log down to boards where it lays.

This is approximately 10 genuine official cords. We don't do face cords here. This is not firewood, but when the rare load of firewood is taken home on a log truck, we figure 10 cords.

Almost a good day0001_2.JPG

I agree, but the logs location (a good 1/2 mile from any road) puts a serious damper in getting it out whole. I don't know of anyone around here that has a set up that can cut the log down to boards where it lays.
Sounds like a good time to get a chainsaw mill. Or watch the dude in this video, it is not as hard as the fellow making the video thinks. It does work better with a long wide bar and a heavy saw.

Back