any idea who makes this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey there I wouldent have a clue, but I know someone here will

Could you resend it in large I can't see it closely... Derek...

have you tried just a distel and pulley kf?
i used grabs for 7 years, just started using the distel and its so much better.

i think the only advantage to a lanyard cam over the suggested tress cord adjuster is in very dirty conditions.

but for lightness, letting out loaded, cost etc. i think cords rule.

i do away with the adjuster and tail the lanyard thru the D, and let D be mount for cord, as well as tender; similararily to what Murph posted that Mark Chisholm was wearing at recent Pitts. ISA conferance.

i think the self tending hitches of Knut and Icicle lend theirselves easier here, or a VT, that finishes with either of the self tending finishes of the Knut or Icicle.

Last edited:
How about a name for this lanyard style. Where the rope goes through the D and the adjuster hitch is tied directly to the D...

Self-tending lanyard

Simple lanyard

Hitch lanyard

???

Tom

Where the D becomes the mount for friction hitch adjsuter for lanyard, and the lanyard tails thru the D, so that the D is the mount and the one-hand-tender for the friction hitch cord:

Chisholm Chaser

All in one

D Hitched w/Tender

Dee Lanyard

Dee Tending Lanyard

i tried it using the d as the slack tender.
i prefer using a pulley because its safer.
having just a cord on a steel lanyard leaves a weak point in the system. i know its unlikey you're going to cut through a friction hitch mounted so tight to your waist but even so.

Maas--that's a Becket hitch, or sometimes called a bear paw.

Tom--I came up with something like KC; I kinda like D tending lanyard...shortened to DT lanyard.

Steve,

I think that your fear of the rope being cut by the D ring is baseless. Thousands upon thousands of knots have been tied onto small diameters without a problem.

Maybe I'm missing what your concern is. Would you let me know?

With the Se-ten-d [seLF-tenDINING-ON A d] :) lanyard, there is only one piece of equipment. The lack of pieces and simplicity add margins of safety that offset any concern about bend ratios.

Tom

Right you are, KC. To my knowlege, Becket/bear paw for cable core only, and you gotta watch out for a bad combo of big D and small diameter/limp cable core, too. That can bind up or even fail. Keep the tail long, too.

Is this the lanyard setup you were referenceing, MM? Or something else?

i think you misunderstood me tom,i was referring to cutting the distel by accident with a chainsaw.
should this happen, the stopper on the tail of your flipline will still stop at the pulley.
with me?

SB,

That seems like the tiniest, remotest possibility. If a climber in my charge EVER had a saw, hand or power, close enough to their lanyard to risk cutting, they wouldn't make the cut.

Have you ever been in that position?

If you were concerned you could add a snap or biner to the end of the STOD lanyard and clip it to the d.

46,000 people die on the roads every year in the US. How many climbers cut the hitch on their lanyard?

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
If a climber in my charge EVER had a saw, hand or power, close enough to their lanyard to risk cutting, they wouldn't make the cut.

Have you ever been in that position?

Sure! Many times! But, my lanyard was my second attachment point.

EH? :)

i have never cut my strop yet tom.my whole point is that what is the point using a wire enforced strop if you're going to be adding a un-enforced link to it anyway.
i dont envision myself ever cutting the strop at that point, like you said its a remote possibility.

Back