Any Ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dec4life

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently picked up a craftsman 358.355140 saw and it's not picking up fuel. It'll only fire up if gas is poured down the carb. I've replaced the fuel lines, fuel filter and put a new carb kit on it and still wont pump gas.? The only thing's I can think of Is maybe theirs a crankcase leak or the tank vent is'nt letting air in properly. Any Ideas would help or if anyone knows a good way to check a crankcase for leaks.
Thanks, Steven

First thing that comes to mind is that the carb may not yet be cleaned.... Up to you if you buy that or not, LOL.

Didja remember to set the needles to the initial settings? Closed needles won't allow fuel flow.

I've seen a few times that a dry rebuilt (or new!) carb wouldn't draw fuel until the pumper was wet. I've used a syringe to force some fuel into them, and then they behave normally. Some "wetness" is needed for the pump flappers to function.

Sometimes the inlet needle will stick to the seat... Using a paperclip to "tickle" the inlet diaphragm thru the diaphragm cover vent can help.... Take care not to puncture!

Also, verify good flow from the tank. Should gravity out at a steady trickle once flow is established.

If wetting the internals doesn't help, teh carb ain't clean yet.

J

Thanks for the Ideas, now that I think about it he carb is dry well cept for the main barrel. Their is no impulse pipe/tube the carb bolts directly to the crankcase where the reeds are. well I got to get heading to work ill check up later.

If the carb gets its pulse thru its mounting flange, be sure you didn't obstruct the pulse passage in the flange... Say, by reversing the gasket, or by overzealous use of sealant.... And be sure that the gasket seals that passage well too! Common error!

J

Latest posts

Back