Any indoor wood furnaces that throw off radiant heat?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kielbasa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys, another question - I want an indoor add on wood furnace that throws off some decent radiant heat, I assume most furnaces don't throw off much radiant heat since they're designed to throw it into the plenum and associated ductwork, but wondering if anybody could provide suggestions.
Thanks!

hotblast

For what it's worth when my 1557 hotblast is running full tilt, it gets quite warm in the room with the furnace. sometimes as high as 95+ in the basement, and i try to maintain 75-78 upstairs. seems like the furnace is doing some sort of radiant heat?

I am pretty sure that the Super Jack you are looking at will give you a fair amount of radiant heat. Call Yukon-Eagle and talk to Keith. 1-800-358-0060

For what it's worth when my 1557 hotblast is running full tilt, it gets quite warm in the room with the furnace. sometimes as high as 95+ in the basement, and i try to maintain 75-78 upstairs. seems like the furnace is doing some sort of radiant heat?

75-78 upstairs wow id be walking around in my shorts and t shirt over there. i keep it 69-72 usually.

method to madness

Ahhhh and when it's 75-78 in the house what does the wife wear?? i know mine sheds some clothes! :rockn: :cheers:

When I've got the Daka running wide open, I can feel the heat from it coming down the basement stairs. They are 30ft from the furnace room. The furnace is right below my livingroom and in the winter it is like I have infloor heat with as warm as the rug is.

If you really want to try radiant heat from an indoor wood furnace, cut the power off to it for about a minute and you'll swear the thing is going to melt down.

Any wood furnace with an exposed steel front will throw some radiant heat. Mine keeps the basement warm, no matter what the temps are. Plus it heats the 2 stories above. At a 300 surface temp, a little bit. At 500 the front of the unit will melt your face off.

I have a considerable amount of radiant heat from my 1600M .... the basement floor gets nice and warm to the touch in a 10' circle around it.

I can also tell you I'd never get to see what my wife wears in my house at 78... the windows get opened at 75.

if you want radiant heat.. don't get a fireplace wood insert.

most any free standing wood stove will give off loads of radiant heat.
and have advantage of being easier to route heat into existing HVAC ducts. this is assuming you have a large blower on wood stove.

i have clayton 1800 series and after this winter of having it all hooked up to duct work and sitting outside in the open air. i learned a couple of things i can keep my 3200 sq foot house 75-80 when its above 32 when it drops below freezing keep house above 70 with not to much problem when it drops below 20 shes running wide open with draft blower and eatin wood like crazy.

so this summers project turn the 10 x 30 area thats covered for the wood burner into a room with concrete floor 2 x 6 exterior walls fully insulated this will give me enough room for wood burner few ricks of wood and be able to capture all the radiant heat loss it makes a bunch of it when it was 2 degress outside you could stay warm by standing in front of it. i will then put a hole in the wall with some sort of decrotive iron grate in the wall. this will allow the return air duct in the house to draw the heat from the new room into the main house im hoping this will cut down on the furnace having to run wide open.

sorry about the long winded anwser but yes it makes a ton of heat.

Some history: I have a wood furnace with the circulating blower and cold air return. By convection, the heat rises through my heat runs and creates enough draw the air is circulating back through the cold air returns. I turn the circulating fan off on warmer days and let the physics of air flow to the work. The furnace gets off SERIOUS heat when you need it. The inducer will get the furnace really cooking... On the days when it was -30 degF, we had 72 degF no problem (1800 sqft ranch). I am looking a variable speed motor to replace the direct drive motor that comes with the Yukon Jack furnace. But to answer your question. Yes. You will get radiant heat.

Back