Any Interest In Revisiting Porting The 550XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will ask the owners here, NOT the dealers and builders, just individual saw owners/operators:

Would YOU have preferred to have a data cable and access software for analysis included with your saw purchase, as part of a normal toolset, such as the included scrench? Given that a data cable really does only cost around two bucks (plenty of examples of other cheap datacables out there like with cellphones) and that once a master is made a stamped DVD is actually less than a dollar in cost, do you think it would have been better to have a set included with your expensive saw purchase, or do you think you are just too stupid to be able to plug in a cable and spin up a disc on your home computer, and it is much better and more convenient to have to tote it in to the dealer so he can mumble something about some expensive parts, mysterious scary computerized stuff, and bench time at 50-80 an hour, plus driving back and forth to a shop most likely twice?

Which do you non shop owners prefer?
I think it should be made available at a reasonable cost to purchasers of the saws, but not necessarily be included in the box. And certainly, all dealers should have it and the training to use it.

Here's the problem... not everyone has a laptop that can be brought to the saw. Include the cable and software, and someone will undoubtedly try to read their saw in the living room. There's plenty of other things that can go wrong if placed in the wrong hands as well.

I think it should be made available at a reasonable cost to purchasers of the saws, but not necessarily be included in the box. And certainly, all dealers should have it and the training to use it.

Here's the problem... not everyone has a laptop that can be brought to the saw. Include the cable and software, and someone will undoubtedly try to read their saw in the living room. There's plenty of other things that can go wrong if placed in the wrong hands as well.

He's another thing to consider. That equipment is less than 300.00. Remember that when your dealer tells you it ain't worth him having it.

Now if it was a Stihl we were talking about, the Stihl gestapo would shut me down for having it....

He's another thing to consider. That equipment is less than 300.00. Remember that when your dealer tells you it ain't worth him having it.

Now if it was a Stihl we were talking about, the Stihl gestapo would shut me down for having it....

:agree2:,on both accounts!

I'm a little surprised the strategically placed Stihl Gestapo customs officer allowed that beautifully ported Swedish 550xp over the border into Deutschland.
Glad to hear that it made it ok though. He's in for a real treat.
I know can hardly wait to get mine back from you Randy.

Do you think that "Old" 346OE of mine will keep up with new 550 both being ported?
Also, I'm going to box up that 390 today and send it your way.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised the strategically placed Stihl Gestapo customs officer allowed that beautifully ported Swedish 550xp over the border into Deutschland.
Glad to hear that it made it ok though. He's in for a real treat.
I know can hardly wait to get mine back from you Randy.

Do you think that "Old" 346OE of mine will keep up with new 550 both being ported?
Also, I'm going to box up that 390 today and send it your way.

Yours is done. Do you want me to ship it tomorrow?

The OE and the NE both run very well once ported.....

Yours is done. Do you want me to ship it tomorrow?

The OE and the NE both run very well once ported.....

If it's only going to be a short while, I'll wait for the 372 as well.
That way you can ship them all back together as a family in the factory
ported "Coleman Cooler";).
I've still got the 562 to get me by for firewood chores until then.

If it's only going to be a short while, I'll wait for the 372 as well.
That way you can ship them all back together as a family in the factory
ported "Coleman Cooler";).
I've still got the 562 to get me by for firewood chores until then.

It won't be too long......your saws are up now.

You make any vids of these 550's with 24" bars?

Pardon, hard to find. :p

Where is common air leaks in 550xp?

:msp_tongue:

They're not twins guys... one's an XPG:msp_ohmy:

They can still be twins, just because one's a little heavier than the other doesn't make a difference...... So what if it stays a little warmer in the wintertime :msp_biggrin:

Back