Any issues with steel lines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm just now starting to plumb my processor.. the first hyd. line I bought was over $100 and it was only 54 inches long.. the fitting were the most expense but the hose is $5 a foot... I could have ran 3/4 black iron pipe for a whole lot less.. and then would have still had to get a short hose made.. i'm thinking of running a bunch a pipe instead of all hose,.,. do any of you see any problem with that? thanks!

yup hoses aren't cheap, I have around $13-1400 just in hoses and fittings on my splitter...
run Sch.80 black iron, as Sch.40 isn't rated for the pressure ,might have to go to 1 inch pipe since Sch.80 will have a smaller ID... not sure you're going to save a whole lot though?

What to use depends on your maximum pressures. My processor is all hi/volume low pressure. 1800 Lbs maximum. It is plumbed entirely with schedule 40 pipe and standard plumbing elbows same as we had done on the farm for 50 years before I could read on the Internet that it would blow up. Yes, in spite of the PSI ratings and internet lore you can do it and it is much cheaper to run pipe and short hoses than long hoses, LOTS cheaper if you shop for fittings. I bought the 3/4" pipe in 10' lengths and cut and threaded it in the shop. Fittings came primarily from Ebay box lot sellers. Be aware that there are some very poorly made fittings around, all are from China but some are OK, some are garbage. Luckily the garbage is easy to spot, avoid it.
NOW READ THIS. Do not use schedule 40 pipe in you splitter or other circuits where you are running higher pressures. You can price our both Schedule 80 pipe and hydraulic tubing for that. Fittings for tubing can sometimes be had cheaply on Ebay, otherwise they can add up quickly and cancell out savings over hose. Standardizing on size helps a lot

Last time I needed hoses I went discount hydraulic hoses.com and saved a bunch. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember being surprised at how reasonable they are. I actually took a copy of what I wanted to order to a couple local guys. I told them that if they could come close I'd love to give them the business. They pretty much laughed at me and acted like I was trying to scam them.

I'll definitely be ordering from them every time I need hoses from here out.

They work fine, just try to keep the ethanol exposure low so they won't get too brittle on you. BTW, it's spelled "Stihl"

Latest posts

Back