Any J-red 2054 guru's in the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a 2054 w/44mm piston & jug, and I wanted to swap it for the 46mm top end, and put the top port muff on it, do I have to get a different top cover to fit? and if so anyone know what the part # is for the right cover? I've got 4 or 5 IPL's for this model but I 'm not sure which one is correct.
Saw is a 1997 model. Which happens to be the one year I don't have an IPL for.

No need to change the top cover. Turning that saw into a 2055 is like buying a whole new saw; you're going to love it. JRepairsK70E recently did one, and he's very happy with it. I did the same conversion myself a couple years ago. A 2055 will toast 346's and MS261's all day long.

hey trigger the 2055 conversion of a 2054 is a sweet deal ,mine is a 2001 and no top cover mods ness all components bolted right up /carb/antivib/exhuast/ obviously trim the hs and ls screw limiters for tuning , i punched a 9/16 hole in the face of the muff ,this saw went from my neglected ,dirty job saw to my fav small limbing toy but is very capable on the firewood log pile , 16 in bar and a sharp chain this thing is a blast to cut with 16k slight 4stroke just rips [faster cutting than my 2156s ] i wanted one of these years ago when i saw the specs but jred didnt bring them into the states ,10 years later i feel like i have a brand new saw good luck with yours jk

When I ordered Jimmy's last fall, they were still in stock. But it's only a matter of time before they find their way on to the NLA list.

Any one know why Jonsered changed the mufflers on this model of saws, from the ones with louvers on the front to the type that exits out the top like saws being made today? I don't doubt you guys about the top cover and the fit, I just asked because the IPL'S show different part numbers for the top covers and brake handles, for these two models. I thought maybe something was different between the 49cc model and the 55cc one.

The different top covers are probably for the decomp. The early ones didn't have a decomp, so no hole. The late chain brake handles had a little more style and curve to them, but will swap.

taplins right the 2055 has no decomp so i put a push in button hole plug to fill the hole in my 2054 top cover , dont even notice it there , ps i did match the exhaust port opening in the muff to the cyl and trimmed the gskt also ,dont kno if it made a diff ,but made me feel like i did it right . make sure you have the saw anchored good before yanking the handle these things have quite the compression for its displacement cheers jk

Which 46mm are you going with the 2055 or the early 2054?

I have both top ends, I got a second hand 46mm open port and the 2055 top end closed port new, I'll mostly likely go with the '55 top end though, From what other members say and from what I have read on other forum's they are a factory hot rod, wish I had another chassis to run both versions so I could compare for myself, I've seen some on e-hay but they go for too much by the time I have it sent across the boarder:msp_sad:

Back