Any members at here knows this bird name???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I found:

Ring-necked dove​

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the species of dove found in eastern and southern Africa. For the bird often called ringneck dove in captivity, see Barbary dove. For other uses, see Ring dove (disambiguation).
Binomial name
Scientific classification edit
Conservation status
Ring-necked dove
Ring-necked dove (Streptopelia capicola damarensis).jpg
S. c. damarensis
Etosha National Park, Namibia
220px-Status_iucn3.1_LC.svg.png

Least Concern (IUCN 3.1)[1]
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Class:Aves
Order:Columbiformes
Family:Columbidae
Genus:Streptopelia
Species:S. capicola
Streptopelia capicola
(Sundevall, 1857)
The ring-necked dove (Streptopelia capicola), also known as the Cape turtle dove or half-collared dove, is a widespread and often abundant dove species in East and southern Africa. It is a mostly sedentary bird,[2][3] found in a variety of open habitats. Within range, its penetrating and rhythmic, three-syllabled crooning is a familiar sound at any time of the year.[3] Its name is derived from the semi-collar of black feathers on the lower nape,[4] a feature shared with a number of Streptopelia species. Like all doves, they depend on surface water. They congregate in large flocks at waterholes in dry regions[2] to drink and bat

Mourning doves are all over California. Pretty common there.
Distribution and habitat
The mourning dove has a large range of nearly 11,000,000 km2 (4,200,000 sq mi). The species is resident throughout the Greater Antilles, most of Mexico, the Continental United States, southern Canada, and the Atlantic archipelago of Bermuda.

They come around my house every early morning and afternoon.
Singing sound is so sad buy love to hear😘😘

The dove is a symbol of peace in the world so killing doves makes me feel bad.😩😩

But there are a lot of quails in my property that taste so good.👍👍

Thanks

Jkk

Never had quail. The little bit of hunting I did when I was younger never turned into quail for dinner. They were too fast, and (little did I know, then) my shotgun didn't put the shot where you aimed it.

After several years of really crappy results, I had decided I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun. Then my brother literally shot at the barn just to discover where the pellets were going. By then, after a couple of years of missing everything, I had given up on shotguns. Haven't touched one since I was 17.

I did occasionally get a dove, but that must have been the few occasions when I shot so poorly that I hit the bird anyway. Nobody ever suggested to me that you had to sight-in a shotgun. :angry:

In my younger "daze" I used to wake up every morning listening to some guy down the hill trying to start his tractor. It ran a short time, then stopped.
A friend finally told me it was a Grouse.
Is that like a Eastern Whippoorwill ? Sometime called an Nightingale.

Several years back I was riding along in central Illinois, heading to Milan. Friend was telling me his aunt sent three of the boys out to hunt for a mess of doves, she was going to make a meat pie. Jim said she couldn't tell the difference between dove breasts and Red Winged Blackbird breasts....... tasted the same too.

Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.
When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing—
Wasn't that a dainty dish
To set before the king?
The king was in the counting-house
Counting out his money,
The queen was in the parlor
Eating bread and honey,