Any one herd of this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read every reply in this thread so if someone mentioned this already it just means you should pay even more attention to it.:D

Most of the time, even on cheap chain, excessive stretching is because the chain is run too tight. Most people run chain too tight, and that stretches it out fast. Number of reasons for it, some are trying to keep it cutting straight after it dulls or they hand filed it and got the cutters messed up. Some are runnning it too tight because their bar needs dressing, even if it looks new.

Low quality bar oil lets the rivets wear out the chain, so it really isn't stretching as much wearing the holes in an elongated shape, which makes the chain longer, so same result as if it stretched.

Mr. HE:cool:

If it's made in china, and I know it, it's not coming into this house. Same for any food from Mexico.

I didn't read every reply in this thread so if someone mentioned this already it just means you should pay even more attention to it.:D

Most of the time, even on cheap chain, excessive stretching is because the chain is run too tight. Most people run chain too tight, and that stretches it out fast. Number of reasons for it, some are trying to keep it cutting straight after it dulls or they hand filed it and got the cutters messed up. Some are runnning it too tight because their bar needs dressing, even if it looks new.

Low quality bar oil lets the rivets wear out the chain, so it really isn't stretching as much wearing the holes in an elongated shape, which makes the chain longer, so same result as if it stretched.

Mr. HE:cool:

He is using that Stihl orange in the warm months and blue when it’s colder. Not too sure on his tensioning technique but he has been cutting wood for some time now probly 20 years. Maybe I should just come out and say it. Has anyone else had this problem with a Makita chain saw's chain??? :bang:

Maybe I should just come out and say it. Has anyone else had this problem with a Makita chain saw's chain??? :bang:

IF it came with the Oregon Vanguard chain like my Dolmar did, no. But since you say it has no markings on it, I'm guessing it's el cheapo chain. Vanguard has "folded over" rakers like this, very unique as far as saw chain goes:

IMG_4957.jpg

But, Oregon chain has the tie straps stamped Oregon, and the size "72" for .050 chain stamped into the drive links.

38_72v_detail.jpg

Check the bar on the saw also. I'm not up on the smaller Makitas and Dolmars, but if the saw uses low profile 3/8ths chain, the common drive link count is 62 on an 18 inch bar. Most of the smaller saws use that same bar. You should check the Baileys site and see what that saw uses. If thats the same bar as a Poulan or Craftsman or smaller Red Max, I would try another bar on it. May be that dealer found a deal on some off the wall bars and bought the saws powerhead only and fitted them with these bars. They mite be old stock bars from Echo's. I recall some of them using the same bar mount pattern and having a odd number driver count. Look for a burned up Wild Thing or one of those gray top handled Craftsmans and grab the bar.

I bought a real nice NOS 16 INCH Oregon Pro lite bar and fitted it to my Sears Pro Yellow Max/ Red Max. Common drive link count for that bar is 56. Mine uses 57. Sorta stinks cause Baileys always has sales on premade loops of 56. A guy told me that bar was from older Echo small saws.

Also I just realized this is in the firewood threads. Put it in the chainsaw thread and you'll get answers from people who know. I'm just a Dumb azz taking guesses.

Where are the Windsor, Carlton & Oregon chains made? I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in China also. Look around you. Chances are everything you own, or at least some component of it, made in the last 10-15 years has been made in China. Don't get me wrong, just because something is made in China does not mean it is a piece of crap. It is just a real shame that the good ole USA used to make EVERYTHING!!!!! And make it damn good. Now we make nothing. Or made in USA with "foreign" components. Pisses me off. Even my good old Red Wing Boots. Been wearing nothing but them for 30+ years, and now many of their styles....made in China! Still charging me $200 a pair though! Last month, bought me a pair of Chippewa's. Good boots...may have to stick with them. Hey, I am as much to blame as anyone, my Stihl, Dolmar & Porsche made in Germany, Yanmar & Echo-Kioritz; Japan. I ain't perfect. But my old Troy-bilts, Toro, Mohawk lift, Mighty Mac, Snap-on tools, Homelite etc....Made in USA!

Sorry...I REALLY got off topic, but needed to vent! :angrysoapbox:

Yeah I feel your pain. I used to have a good job producing quality(damn good) product.
On another note, my last Husky saw was made in the USA. POS right? ;)

Latest posts

Back