Any one run a woods ported saw on a mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Wellman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 36" mill set up and a couple of saws I can and do run, p85, 051 and 075. I know that power = cutting speed. I have a saw shop and do woods porting with compression work so it would seem natural to port a mill saw towards torque. Does anyone know why or why not this good or bad thing on a mill saw. I normally get 1.5-2hp more out of a saw, and they run cooler.

Thanks,

andy

1.5hp-2hp increase out of a saw is quite a claim. I'm going to guess you're talking big saws, because a lot of small saws only make 2hp stock. Even on a large saw, with 6 or 7hp, you're talking a 30% increase there. Have you had your saws dyno'd, or is that more of a seat of the pants claim?

Shaun

seat of the pants, but there nice pants

1.5hp-2hp increase out of a saw is quite a claim. I'm going to guess you're talking big saws, because a lot of small saws only make 2hp stock. Even on a large saw, with 6 or 7hp, you're talking a 30% increase there. Have you had your saws dyno'd, or is that more of a seat of the pants claim?

Shaun

No dyno, but a very subjective comparison with other larger saw same wood, same bar sort of thing. Yes, 70cc or larger. I get good gains from raising the compression between 30 to 50 psi.

Can you demonstrate how you match the muffler to the widened port of the 075 and 051?

Anyway, back on topic!

Every once in a while a buddy and I run a mill for a local woodworker, the mill is a 54" cut and started life with 2 ported 385xp's on it. One of the saws had an issue and he replaced it with a 394xp.

Ported saws work very well on a mill in my opinion

exhaust manifold

Can you demonstrate how you match the muffler to the widened port of the 075 and 051?

I have not attempted to port the 051-075 saws until, now. No one has come threw the door at the shop with one. This are my personal saws. When looking at cylinder exhaust ports and exhaust manifold and muffler it appears your are restricked by the size of the exhaust manifold id. You could increase time area/widen the internal cylinder port but it would still have to remain close to stock at the cylinder muffler side port. This is speculation but if you did this, polished the port, and opened up the muffer exit you may not increase the port size but may increase the speed of exhuast threw the narrowest point. I don't know the answer but its good to think about.

I think I will port it.

I think I will port the 075 going on my mill. Currently the compression is 150psi so a moderate bump to 180psi would help and make it run like a larger displacement saw.

Isn't the point of a ported saw to put more power in a lighter package? It doesn't seem like that is much of a concern when milling lumber. A bigger engine with the same load will last longer and be more reliable than a smaller engine running at 100% power constantly.

The big difference between milling is that the saw is run at WOT for extended periods of time, which causes the saw to build more heat. So the real question for a ported saw is if the cooling system is suitable for running the modified motor WOT for long periods of time. A muffler mod will allow the saw to run cooler, but significant mods to the engine to produce more power is going to be producing more heat, though you'll also be running more fuel through the engine which will have a slight cooling affect.

If you're going to run a modded engine on a mill, you should have a means of monitoring the engines temperature.

Latest posts

Back