Any recommendation for most budget friendly chainsaw to run 42" bar and ripping chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't put a 32" on my 372 let alone a 465. I see they sell them with 28" bars but that's pushing it imo. I'd keep that saw at 24" or smaller. Luckily you're talking pine which should be easy but I'd look for a used Stihl 066 or 660. I've seen them go usedfor a good price. The hutzl ones I'd be worried about long term use but that's my $.02.

Guess I’m different then most but we put up to 36’s on 372’s depending on what the Doug fir looks like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have ran 42’s on the 390’s in Doug Fir 7 pin sprockets with semi skip chain now this is falling and bucking applications.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean you have built 40 of them? Don't they come already assembled?
Also, outside of Granberg oiler, any other recommendations?

You can buy them as a kit for cheaper and assemble them yourself, I have built over a hundred of their various saws. I literally just milled slabs of catalpa an hour ago using mine with a 42" bar.. it will do what you are needing it to do.IMG_20190905_190941436.jpg

Oh I love my Makita stuff. But it is used for projects that aren't abusive to the tools. I have my cheap small Husqvarna for anything that may have any dirt on it. 465R doesn't even get put on the ground. I bought it new, it was gift to myself for Christmas... Wife was not amused.

Hehe, a former boss of mine had a special beer and gambling account he kept secret from he's wife :innocent: but I guess the wife would have noticed a brand new chainsaw on the shelf :blob2:

Back