Any sellers screen their firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s13rymos

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone put their firewood through a screen of some sort to remove the little pieces of bark and wood waste before it goes in the truck? I load my split wood with the skid loader bucket into the back of the dump truck and i seem to have alot of waste.. Just looking for ideas on how to remove some of it before it goes down the road.

maybe im way off base here,
however most of whats left in my truck comes from being loaded

I load by hand and have lots of bark tear off

I would imagine a bobcat would amplify that issue

just tell the customer it makes great kindling...cause it does

mike

I don't screen it, adding another labor intensive step to an already marginal profit operation doesn't seem logical. Bark waste is just part of the biz.
I do load some with the grapple, it drops most of the waste thru the forks.

I don't screen it, adding another labor intensive step to an already marginal profit operation doesn't seem logical. Bark waste is just part of the biz.
I do load some with the grapple, it drops most of the waste thru the forks.

That was my thought too.. I cant handle the wood too many times or my profit falls.. I have thought about a grapple for my skid loader.. I didnt know if it would make much of a difference or not..

Yes sir, background check on all of it. Wouldn't want any wood from the wrong side of the tracks mixing in with mine... :hmm3grin2orange:

In all seriousness, you are just adding an additional cost and unnecessary step. Firewood is a messy business and I think most wood buyers know this. Of course, the condition of the wood (and the bark on it) will determine the mess.

Yes sir, background check on all of it. Wouldn't want any wood from the wrong side of the tracks mixing in with mine... :hmm3grin2orange:

In all seriousness, you are just adding an additional cost and unnecessary step. Firewood is a messy business and I think most wood buyers know this. Of course, the condition of the wood (and the bark on it) will determine the mess.

I know you were jokin but in reality with the EAB around here you sometimes gotta check where the wood comes from.. the ban on moving firewood within certain counties in PA is goin to be dropped on the 11th thank god..

Befor the wood goes in the splitter i try to remove any loose bark thats on the round but some still gets by.

Here is what I use. It doesn't get everything but it helps. If i was using it just for firewood I would put higher sides and a higher back on it. Then I could shake it without spilling a lot of wood. But I use it for sifting the big rocks out of creek gravel.

Here is what I use. It doesn't get everything but it helps. If i was using it just for firewood I would put higher sides and a higher back on it. Then I could shake it without spilling a lot of wood. But I use it for sifting the big rocks out of creek gravel.

Yes i was thinkin of the same deal but in a grapple bucket..

It wouldn;t be hard to put some grapple arms on this one. I have a grapple also but the tines are to far apart. The firewood slips through,

Scott

Back