Firewood times for processing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a tractor, but my neighbor does...

I have plenty of neighbors with tractors. I had one help me dig out my frost free faucet in the yard. He did in minutes twice as much as what had taken me hours. He's the only one with a backhoe. All others have plows or just loaders. Just this past year one neighbor bought a 2nd tractor. I cannot for the life of my figure out why he needs two tractors. They are both sub-compact Kubotas. Someday, I hope, he will reconsider and sell me the older one. Til then I am my own mule.

Last I knew cord wood cost was highly dependent on the person selling it. Seen it as low as $225.00 for **** and over $400 for premium kiln dried hardwood, delivered, stacked and sometimes in crates.
Edit: just checked with a place across town $205 cord free delivery if you order 2 or more cords. Delivered means dumped in your yard.
I was at $240 a cord for mostly ash last year. No delivery. All dry oak might be $300 with all the higher input costs this year.

I was at $240 a cord for mostly ash last year. No delivery. All dry oak might be $300 with all the higher input costs this year.
Yeah the $205 was from countryside in meyerstown. They sell compressed enviro bricks and coal too. Probably one of the cheapest places around that I know of.

Are you guys talking full cords or face cords?? In my area, the going rate is around $85 per face cord, delivered, for decent hardwood. Poplar, pine and other lesser species don't have much resale value around here, but a fella could scrounge damn near all of it he wanted for free in my area.

Are you guys talking full cords or face cords?? In my area, the going rate is around $85 per face cord, delivered, for decent hardwood. Poplar, pine and other lesser species don't have much resale value around here, but a fella could scrounge damn near all of it he wanted for free in my area.
When I said $300 a cord, that was a full cord. Most of what I sell are 1/4 cord bins. Picked up. The lower price sounds better. $75 vs $300. Sorry for the derail MR.

Full

Sean said, "Delivered means dumped in your yard" or driveway. That's a far cry from stacked. I doubt that you would ever receive a full cord for $205 free delivery. The $400 a cord, if two full truckloads, might get you 128 cu ft.

One of my customers told me that "Your packed truckload holds a lot more than the typically advertised face cord. How you get that much wood in your truck is amazing. It's really easy to get burned buying firewood these days."

Most truckload deliveries around here are simply thrown in, not packed, and the truck beds are only 5-1/2 feet long in pickups with four doors, not even 6-foot beds.

Sean said, "Delivered means dumped in your yard" or driveway. That's a far cry from stacked. I doubt that you would ever receive a full cord for $205 free delivery. The $400 a cord, if two full truckloads, might get you 128 cu ft.

One of my customers told me that "Your packed truckload holds a lot more than the typically advertised face cord. How you get that much wood in your truck is amazing. It's really easy to get burned buying firewood these days."

Most truckload deliveries around here are simply thrown in, not packed, and the truck beds are only 5-1/2 feet long in pickups with four doors, not even 6-foot beds.
It's free delivery with a 2+ cord order,?as far as I know, I haven't bought from them.) think they can deliver up to 4 cords. There's a difference between a pick up and a real dump truck. Here's their price sheet. Tried to blow it up. It's a tiny little thumbnail. Hence why I called earlier. There's a guy down the street that uses an old one ton chevy and claims to get a full cord in his flat bed. He does hand stack, but I'm pretty sure he has a delivery fee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-221142_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-221142_Samsung Internet.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 0
BTW, if OP can get it for $200 a full cord (128 cu ft or two pickup truckloads), that's a bargain. I think he is talking a face cord not a full cord. I wish the term, face cord, was never invented. Just MHO.

In Virginia, it's illegal to sell firewood using the word "cord" (by itself or in combination with any other words) unless you're using the full-cord definition of 128 cubic feet:

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title3.2/chapter56/section3.2-5641/
Dunno whether the same law applies if you sell firewood in ricks or bundles or heaps or passels or sh!tloads...

A cord, 128 cubic feet of wood. Face cord isn't a standard measurement. I don't use the term face cord.

Here's another guy's prices. We have too many people trying to sell cord wood for them to be able to make big money around here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-222529_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-222529_Samsung Internet.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 1
I try and only touch the wood 4 times when processing. 5 if I count when I throw it in the stove.
Just did an extensive remodeling on our house, making it impractical for me to haul firewood in through the front door. Our solution:
20221006_172935.jpg
20221006_173012.jpg
20221006_173017.jpg
20221006_173044-2.jpg
Now we can load 3 days worth of wood from the outside (a Rubbermaid cart-full) and access it one piece at a time to go directly into the stove. That eliminates the rack outside the front door and the woodbox next to the stove. And we handle the wood one less time! Not sure what I'll do with all my spare time! O

Back