Any Solo Dealers out there with thoughts on picking up a dealership

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more Poulan dealers in part because there are no more Poulan distributors. Poulan Pro was simply allowed to fade away. The better Poulan models like the 335's and the Partner and Pioneer based saws were canceled. At that point it really ceased to be a line and the distributors and dealers alike moved on. Just before the end those 3 brands folded into one actually made a pretty decent saw line.

Husky dealers currently have the ability to order 2 Poulan and 3 Poulan Pro models. Prices are competitive with the box stores, but margins are very slim and there's no point in messing with them.

But if you had that Poulan sign hanging out on the pole wouldn't that generate foot traffic. "Messing with them" (selling them) is one thing. I'm talking about selling spoles for weedeaters and sharpening chains and selling them a Husky when they come in to find that their saw, trimmer,blower, hedge trimmer isn't worth fixing.

I'm just thinking out loud because there are probably as many Poulans/ Weedeaters out there as there are all other pieces of equipment.

Another thing I didn't consider though are the lawn mowers. I had a Poulan pushmower. It was the best running mower with a deck that only lasted 3 years that I ever had. I guess that puts an end to me thinking out loud.

Well, I have been in this business a while, and I have worked on 2 Solos.......

We are talking about 20+ years........

Yes, the quality looks good/decent.........

One was sold at a box store, the other guy had no idea....

I explained to them both, If I need any "SOLO" parts, where do I get them from?

2 Solos....20 Years...............

Get the point???????

Yes, the quality looks good/decent.........

One was sold at a box store, the other guy had no idea....

I explained to them both, If I need any "SOLO" parts, where do I get them from?

2 Solos....20 Years...............

Get the point???????

Other than an infamous 681, I've never worked on one or had one come in the
shop.

Just stumbled onto this thread. To add my 2cents, Solo is a great saw: it's my workhorse right beside Efco. You have too much competition too close by to go with the usual recognized names. As for parts, I'm in Canada, so we get screwed no matter the brand, big or small. I'd vote for Solo.

Just stumbled onto this thread. To add my 2cents, Solo is a great saw: it's my workhorse right beside Efco. You have too much competition too close by to go with the usual recognized names. As for parts, I'm in Canada, so we get screwed no matter the brand, big or small. I'd vote for Solo.

Mac, please don't take this the wrong way, but I just want to make a point.

It's great that you like your Solo. I still have my Solo 651 Pro, and I think it's also a great saw. It was about my only saw for about 7 years after my divorce, and never let me down. (Also had a 644 as a back up)

But in no way does that translate into becoming Solo dealer being a sound business idea. Solo just isn't going to sell in numbers that make it worthwhile to be a dealer. I've been there. We sold them when we first opened the store. An occasional sale to someone who just felt comfortable buying something from us, but then as now, it was a Husky and Stihl world.

They just don't have what it takes. They've been here in the US for 40 some years, and never really got it figured out. There's no reason to think that's going to change.

Yes, nothing against their quality. It is just hard to get someone to spend several hundred dollars on a brand that they have never heard of.

Thanks for the feedback, but competing with other Stihl/Dolmar/Husky dealers isn't going to do much more, maybe less. A business has to be built regardless of brand recognition or rep.

Is there a product out there that can remove tire marks off the floor? I hate tire marks!

Thanks for the feedback, but competing with other Stihl/Dolmar/Husky dealers isn't going to do much more, maybe less. A business has to be built regardless of brand recognition or rep.

Pros & cons to both. With an established brand, people will be able to find a starting dealership. Not so with a Solo or an Efco. And at least you CAN compete with other businesses with the more established lines. I'd look into getting Echo. They're popular, everyone has one. You'll be able to service the many equipment bought from HD and Ebay and it doesn't take much to get set up with them either.

I have owned as many Solos as you have worked on. I had never even heard of Solo chainsaws until I found this place.

Latest posts

Back