Any thoughts on the Hoffman 9000 leather calks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
10" 9000 Leather Calk Boot - Hoffman Boots - For all your Boot Needs

I am thinking they look great for the price. Time to send in my Whites smokejumpers to get rebuilt and I have been wanting some leather calks.

This is as much as I can spend on more boots, and seem to be good quality and made in the USA.

Any advice is much appreciated.

5tun4n.jpg

Yep, I agree with Tramp. I wear the Viberg 105's with out the Tricouni's though. Just a great boot. Period. Mind you, that's all I've worn for years so I can't really comment on any other boots. Vibergs seem to be the only brand of leathers you see in the woods out here. Some guys have gone to Mendl, mixed reviews on those so far though.

See if I got this. Viberg 45sc Chokerman Steel Toe Logger Caulk Boots
these will out last several pair of the Hoffmans and are rebuildable . Where they are stich down the leather won't wear away where the upper is sewn to the vamp .

Thanks I appreciate it but I don't have another $400+ to spend on boots right now.

Just wondering if those $230 Hoffman's in my post are good for the price. Not expecting them to compete with $400-600 boots.

Ya Diesel . Those Hoffmans have been around for quite a while . They are worth 200$ and will prolly last u a season . At least out here . Everyone I know thats had them says they ate comfortable but arn't good on steep ground as they will roll out .
Jordan ; these are my 105Ts . I have 28 months in them with no rebuild yet . Still good . Still waterprooof.
[url]http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/gumboot4581/IMG_20120318_0906[/url]

22.jpg
Here is my 105s flanked by my 45s that i wear for construction
IMG_20120318_090740.jpg

I'm planning on a resole on my 45s this year . I hate to say it but for union work I'm going to have to go to Whites . Reason , the Viberg steel toe box is too small . Whites have a bigger toe box . Having had a few pair of Whites I rank them as 50% as good as Vibergs . .. Its not that Whites are bad . Just Vibergs are that good .
IMG_20120318_090931.jpg

I'm planning on a resole on my 45s this year . I hate to say it but for union work I'm going to have to go to Whites . Reason , the Viberg steel toe box is too small . Whites have a bigger toe box . Having had a few pair of Whites I rank them as 50% as good as Vibergs . .. Its not that Whites are bad . Just Vibergs are that good .
IMG_20120318_090931.jpg

These are my lace to toe Vibergs . I got them in 06. Had them rebuilt 2 years ago . Had the Lineman sole put on and the steel toe taken out so they re vamped them . . Sure are comfortable in the spurs .

Yep, they are awesome boots, Tramp. I had two pairs on the go, was going to send one in for a rebuild, but I let it go too long, was going to cost way too much, so I bought another pair. I'll wear the other pair until they're dead now. Kinda nice having 3 pairs, now I can leave a pair in each camp, no packing them all over the coast on the float planes!

I know it was covered in another boot thread a while back, but to the OP in case you missed it invest in a PEET Shoe Dryer.. Around here you can get them for $34.95+tax. I've been using them for 30+ years. It'll be some of the best money ever spent.

I have the 205's along with others. The 205's are not as comfortable as the Wesco's, but cheaper. They also take longer to break in. But they will do in a pinch. You really should look at Madsens i would like to try the Danner Pronghorns they have that are corked. Insullated and waterproof. Only draw back i've been told is that the Pronghorns don't have a steel shank in them. So im told. I personally Didn't like the the look of the Vibergs. Mainly cause the only ones i've seen looked like pleather not leather. They were shiny and kind of plastic looking. Looking at Tramps pics though, they don't look bad and sound as good as Wesco's. If you cut in the wet or cold the Hoffman Pac boots might be something to look at too.

Yeah I have some Viking pull on rubber calks for wet/cold, just looking for some cheaper leather calks (but not junk) to wear in the warm dry months and immediately while my whites get rebuilt. Will be sure to check Madsens.

Just FYI Madsen's had house brand leather calks for similar price, a little cheaper, but they were lace-to-toe and made by White's.

I ended up getting the Hoffman's and I like them so far, pretty comfortable and solid for the price. Did not realize how good the old White's feel until recently!

I am wondering how I could run some kind of "front cleat" on these Hoffman's like on Wesco/Whites as that seems to be a weak area. These soles are too soft and thick for nail-in "Tracouni" (sp) type of attachment.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Haha, true but I'm trying to keep a positive outlook. They are good enough for now.

I have however heard good things about the Hoffman lineman boots (Poleclimbers). Especially their shank system.

I can always walk around in my Whites for awhile to ease the arch and lower back pain.

Do the Vibergs fit/feel similar to Whites, what I am asking is the high-arch "arch ease" thing still there?

I just meant was the feel and fit similar between Whites and Vibergs?
Just curious what makes the Vibergs better?

I am so used to the way the White's feel that the Hoffman's do feel a little worse each day.

Viberg's are just so much longer lasting. they use really good leather. Its not that Whites are bad, but Vibergs last sooooo long. the water buffalo leather doesn't wear out. The stitch down. Vibergs have simular sole wear to a White. Vibran sole. but the boot is in better shape when its time for a resole.
The nailed down 105 with the Urethane sole seems impossible to wear out.

Latest posts

Back