Any Thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy steve

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Water coming into hx is 160deg.Water exiting hx is not even Luke warm.Is it cooling of that much?There is no heat at all from return line.It seems to me it should have some heat.I mean It almost feels cold!

I'm asking this because I was going to T off return for a 4 season room wall heater.I don't think there's enough heat to do this.Not even close

It's possible that your water is moving too slow but also if you are using a HX in your furnace your inlet water temp should be at least 180F.

Could be a restriction in your hx or it could be plugged. It may also be possible that your circulation pump isn't pumping as much as it should.

i have an h4 hardy and it shuts off at 170,the return is lukewarm on mine after it goes through the exchanger,that means the heat in the water is transfering to the air inside the house,that usually means it is efficient

I pulled feed line off hx.When pump is running its a trickle at best.I pulled line off bottom of pump and turned pump on it looks to be feeding good.Although have nothing to judge by it shoots water out hard.i have one stainless valve in line to shut off feed at hx going to check for blockage next.

I pulled feed line off hx.When pump is running its a trickle at best.I pulled line off bottom of pump and turned pump on it looks to be feeding good.Although have nothing to judge by it shoots water out hard.i have one stainless valve in line to shut off feed at hx going to check for blockage next.As far as 180 deg feed I don't think my hardy can run that hot.

Steve i almost forgot when i installed my hardy to my shop,i had everything hooked up correct,pump running,line hot,cold return,no heat,i pulled my hair out that night i fell asleep on the couch with my work coat and boots on at 2am,my light bulb came on at 8am,i always go diagonal from corner to corner from pump to return,i disassembled and found the factory ball valve for the return i could turn the handle and the ball in the valve would not move,i replaced the ball valve and it worked perfect,the faulty ball valve had a yellow colored handle,i believe the supplier of these ball valves had sold more than one POS valve to Hardy,any ways i hope this helps,i pulled my hair out and then kicked my own hind end on that problem,good luck

I pulled feed line off hx.When pump is running its a trickle at best.I pulled line off bottom of pump and turned pump on it looks to be feeding good.Although have nothing to judge by it shoots water out hard.i have one stainless valve in line to shut off feed at hx going to check for blockage next.As far as 180 deg feed I don't think my hardy can run that hot.

I don't know about Hardy's but my Central is set at the factory for 185 and can be programmed to shut off at 195.

[Strike]When you pulled a line off the Xchngr was that the input line from the pump or the outlet side through the Xchngr ? There might be sediment buildup in the xchngr.[/FONT]

When you checked the flow from the pump , how much was static head pressure from the water storage and how much was the pump actually moving water ?
Is the pump on the OWB or in the hose below the level of the OWB ?

That one valve might be the problem. It would be worth the effort to eliminate it as a factor.
Knoiwing how much head pressuure the pump should develope and how much it DOES develope would help too.

EDIT: Hmmm sorry I reread and missed which side you pulled the line from.

Last edited:
Should the line run solid with water once primed from pump at hx?Seems like mine doesn't run solid.I disconnected at hx held over bucket and turned pump on.It was upping water but not solid,but my return line valve was closed.Dont know if that would really matter since feed was not hooked up.Didnt have any blockage from bottom of pump to hx.Maybe need new insert for pump?

Steve is your pump a taco brand mounted on the back of the unit,if so you should be able to disconnect the return at the hx and see how much flow you have these are impeller type pumps not positive displacement

ps is the tank full i had a friends h4 that the float switch went bad an there was not enough water in the tank,some people have good enough water to use the autofill,our water has a lot of sodium in it so i collect rainwater off my shop and add 5gal every 2 months

Ok I pulled cartridge from pump and is not broke.Spins good.No blockage anywhere.Could it just be pump is old and isn't spinning enough rpms for flow?

What have you eliminated as possible problems so far ?

Water level in the OWB
buildup in the pump inlet
clogged screen or wye somewhere
sufficient supply to the pump
sediment in the Xchngr
trapped air
clogged outlet at the OWB from inside

This is where I'm at.Water level good,disconnected feed and return and flushed with garden hose,flushed hx both ways,brand new pump,checked main shut off ball valve.Never seen any thing that I thought that would stop flow.A little dirty water that was all clear when done flushing.Have heat again not sure what fixed,but I don't think it was a bad pump.I replaced cartridge 2 years ago still ran quit.I have an extra now for future garage heat.Thanks for help let's see how this goes over a couple days.

Well sounds like you got it running. Good job.

I will tell you what mine does, its a central boiler about 100' from house and down hill, about 20' lower than house. I just can't turn my pump on and have it fill up the line, it is not strong enough to do that. I have to prime the line and then it will flow good. I can then go down to the stove and work the ball valve and hear the difference between full open and partially closed. I have to do this every year when I first fire it up.

I don't think these little circulation pumps put out allot of pressure. Perhaps during all you testing you got enough water in the lines to prime it? Just guessing.

v/r

Mike

This is where I'm at.Water level good,disconnected feed and return and flushed with garden hose,flushed hx both ways,brand new pump,checked main shut off ball valve.Never seen any thing that I thought that would stop flow.A little dirty water that was all clear when done flushing.Have heat again not sure what fixed,but I don't think it was a bad pump.I replaced cartridge 2 years ago still ran quit.I have an extra now for future garage heat.Thanks for help let's see how this goes over a couple days.

It's going to be hard to say what fixed it . the important part is it'd fixed and that it stays that way.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back