Any tips on fueling a full or 3/4 wrap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joab

I'll think of something.
Reaction score
I'm an East Coast guy; but I've got a couple full or 3/4 wrap saws just because I like them. Firstly I've got an old Pioneer P42, and recently I acquired an Husqvarna 562XP.

The P42 has the fuel/oil caps up top and so filling the tank is not affected by the full wrap -- easy enough. But the way the 562 balances on it's side with the 3/4 wrap is a bit precarious and not even close to level -- it's not at all helpful.

It seems to me that I must be doing something wrong -- like there's a trick to this that most West Coast fallers know and I don't.

Does anybody have any tips on fueling a full or 3/4 wrap saw? Specifically, what's the best way to balance the saw on it's side? . How you West Coast types normally do this?

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Well, smart west coast fallers cut into the side or a stump before we shut it down or cut into or bore into something where the gas is.:yes: in a perfect world. Yes, usually if the bars are longer than 24" on a 372 then they will be nose heavy so that's ok if it spills oil as it will find its way to the bar opposed to in the starter cover. However, if you get too sloppy with the gas and a big drink goes in the starter cover then I have to pull the top cap or wait it out. it will be a greater angle with a short bar sitting back on the back handle Than it would be with a long bar. Do whatever it takes, If you are concerned then prop it up.

As for as the long bars go with wrap handles, commonly associated with WCF; We hike our gas and backpack up hill a ways and set it in what usually is a flat area behind a larger, recognizable tree. When we need gas we may have to hike the saw up to the cash. Its not uncommon to flip the saw 180 degrees from gas to oil where the hill meets the flat. there are many, ways you learn to do it, its often different. I believe you are talking more about short bars with wrap handle. the bigger concern is pouring the gas as the handle gets in the way from pouring. when I worked in Gas and Oil I would pin it forward or balance it with my left let when fueling on the road and such

This how the saw wants to balance --and only just -- it'll flop over if you sneeze.

I think Westboastfaller hit the nail on the head -- this is largely because of the short bar. With a long bar, the balance and angles are different.

The part I was missing is that you're best to get the saw up off the ground by pinning the bar on it's flat by some means -- and there seem to be a lot of different, effective ways to do that -- I'm trying the different suggested ways that have been shared ( adapting a little here and there.)

Thanks again for sharing how you guys do this.
743b4cf797b1a190c8271896a57070c4.jpg

This how the saw wants to balance --and only just -- it'll flop over if you sneeze.

I think Westboastfaller hit the nail on the head -- this is largely because of the short bar. With a long bar, the balance and angles are different.

The part I was missing is that you're best to get the saw up off the ground by pinning the bar on it's flat by some means -- and there seem to be a lot of different, effective ways to do that -- I'm trying the different suggested ways that have been shared ( adapting a little here and there.)

Thanks again for sharing how you guys do this.
743b4cf797b1a190c8271896a57070c4.jpg

Those saws won’t sit still on level ground or in the back of a truck.

Gotta Dawg into something, or restrain it.

Latest posts

Back