Any upgrades?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbcmudtruck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm interested in dressing up my saw a little bit, possbily getting a bit more power out of her. Its a new 261 pro with a 16" bar and chisel chain. I'm new to saws somewhat, so forgive me if this sounds dumb. I live in north west missouri and cut firewood. I normaly cut locus, oak and some hedge. I'd like to be able to run a chisel chain on an 18 or possibly a 20" bar. I only have one saw, would it just be wiser to buy a bigger saw and have two? Or can I have my 261 ported, bigger carb, exhaust, etc?

Welcome to the forum. The 261 responds tremendously to porting. I also installed a dual spike kit and roller chain catcher on mine. IIRC, it was the 361 kit.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HxMPgN_2Mvs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1127744913_JfiaS-M.jpg

1127745005_A6WTk-M.jpg

Awesome, but all that jargon you used doesn't make any sense to me! hahah, i don't know what a dual spike kit is or an iirc. This is my first saw to upgrade, so please have some patience with me. Who would be the go to guy to send it to for port work? and thanks for the help!

The 261 is a great saw. I think 2 saws is a minimum though if your cutting firewood. Sooner or later you'll get one pinched and have to cut it out, or rock a chain with only 5 minutes work left, Its easier to just grab the 2nd saw.

Ok, so what would a good second saw be? I'd like one with a bit more punch, for falling bigger trees when the time comes. My dad has an 038 super mag that runs pretty good. Should I be on the hunt for a good 038? Also, I'd still like to upgrade the 261! I guess anything goes really, I'm new to modding saws. If I get a bigger saw, what are some bolt on upgrades or cheap diy upgrades I can do. IE bars, chains, knick knacks etc... I'm into atv racing and don't run anything stock. hahah I have always ran modded motors in everything I've ever owned, from trucks to cars to atvs. I've finally come to the conclusion that I simply don't have the ability to run stock anything!

Last edited:
If your ever around hannibal look me up. I could let you run some bigger saws so you can get a feel for what you might be looking for.

upgrades {muff mod}

a 261 is a sweet saw; everyone here will agree mod the muffler,lots of post on doing this.better yet get an other muf to mod. that way you can keep your warrenty. I also in north west mo.(st.joseph).steve

Those double dogs look sick. I ordered a set-- neighbors gonna be even more nervous

Iirc

Awesome, but all that jargon you used doesn't make any sense to me! hahah, i don't know what a dual spike kit is or an iirc. This is my first saw to upgrade, so please have some patience with me. Who would be the go to guy to send it to for port work? and thanks for the help!

Old internet shorthand jargon

IIRC--If I recall correctly

HTH HAND

And remember when it comes to throwing money at engines "just because" or you got loot to burn--TANSTAAFL

A sharp chain is the cheapest most effective "chainsaw upgrade" you can do. A guy with a correctly-note that word-correctly sharpened chain running a stock 40 cc saw will out cut the dude running dullsville with his hotrod modded tricked out 70. The tree is never impressed with bling, and the woodstove got no interest if your truck has been chipped or what style wheels you got.

Anyway, what the other guys up ^^^ above said when it comes to hotrodding saws, I claim no knowledge of same.

I can sharpen a chain though...and I get my wood cut....

Hahah, well although I've only cut three loads of wood so far, I am finding that I really like the saw. However I have to decided to get another saw for a backup and I'd rather it be a larger saw, for just in case moments. I've searched the muf mod and come up with hundreds of posts, but nothing of a "how to" post yet. I'd at least like to do the muf mod to the 261 and possibly port an 031 or 440. I just want a ported saw now really bad for some reason! Do I need it? NO, would it be cool to have one, yep.

Hahah, well although I've only cut three loads of wood so far, I am finding that I really like the saw. However I have to decided to get another saw for a backup and I'd rather it be a larger saw, for just in case moments. I've searched the muf mod and come up with hundreds of posts, but nothing of a "how to" post yet. I'd at least like to do the muf mod to the 261 and possibly port an 031 or 440. I just want a ported saw now really bad for some reason! Do I need it? NO, would it be cool to have one, yep.

I feel having at least 2 saws is a must. being able to cut one out of a bind is the diffrrrnce between a good morning or a crappy one for me

Second Saw

till you decide what you want for your next saw;buy another bar and chain.95 percent of the time you pinch a bar you can remove the power head install your #2 bar&chain and cut out your #1 bar. good luck & have a good time whitch your new saw.:rock:

till you decide what you want for your next saw;buy another bar and chain.95 percent of the time you pinch a bar you can remove the power head install your #2 bar&chain and cut out your #1 bar. good luck & have a good time whitch your new saw.:rock:

Thats a great trick to have handy! Thanks for the help!

Back