Anybody burn hackberry

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am kind of an snob as the worst wood I'll sell is red oak followed by white oak and hickory.
The problem is a landowner who has given me access to cut ANY OAK that is not marketable timber has a large hackberry in his yard and wants it gone. I told him I would gladly cut it up and dispose of the brush but am not wild about the wood.

Anybody with experience burning hackberry. I see in the BTU charts it's not bad.
How does it split?

Pretty stringy like elm for splitting. I know the wood is heavy as hell until it dries out. We burn it all the time here cause it's a nuisance tree. I won't kick it to the curb. Seems like there is 2 different species around here, one is worse than the other for splitting.

I burned some Hackberry in the past. But, I dont recall too much about it. I believe I have some in my wood pile. I will get some split and post a picture. Will split it tomorrow if I do have some.

its a hard wood. but its one of the softest hardwoods you can find. its a lil bit stringy. not as bad as elm. its technically in the elm family but its not considered an elm. if you can split it on the coldest weather its not too tough.

I wouldn't turn it down. burning wise, I would rate it around walnut, cherry, and elm. Not bad at all, but not oak either. All the forest grown hackberries I've split, split very easily. Yard trees were a bit stringy and somewhat harder to split though for some reason. It splits almost exactly like hickory, and is prone to barber chair, also just like hickory.
I definitely wouldn't pass it up, but I also don't pass up sycamore either. If that says anything about me.

Thanks that's good to know. It's on super flat land 100' away from the driveway and nothing to get in the way when dropping it.

I burn Hackberry. I don't seek it out, but I won't throw it out either. The Hackberry I cut 'round here splits somewhat easier than elm (on average)... yeah, stringy, but straighter grain. Actually, the Ash I cut splits about like the Hackberry... a hatchet is a handy tool by the splitter for either one. As far as burn quality... well... I toss it on the same pile with American Elm... six of one, half dozen of the other in my view. It don't release it's bark like elm will... meaning you'll be dealing with a bit more ash in the firebox, but it ain't near as bad as Walnut in that department.

When I do separate it, I burn it in the fire pit... burns and coals a lot like American Elm without the offensive (to some) smell.
The truth is, if American Elm is good 'n' dry it won't stink either... but... we're not talking about elm.

The Hackberry that i've had cuts easy, dries fast, but splits weird, never nice even splits, other than that, good wood!

What we have around here is technically (I found out on another similar thread) sweet berry, which is similar to hackberry. It splits well and burns good.

The little branches when you limb it out are like velcro! You can't just ever grab one branch and drag it away, the least little hook, the next branch is coming with, and the next one, and the next one....

I've gotta ask what is the best wood you sell after you weed this junk out?

Hickory brings top dollar. The rest of the stacks are red & white oak.

I am friends with loggers so I have access to log landings and the log cut offs. Hardwoods are primarily what they are after here.

The hackberry in question is very large, 2 big limbs blew out. It's been standing like that for 2 years but alive, still OK?

I have never processed any Hackberry but I have access to one about a mile down the road. I hear some of the good comments about it but a HUGE red flag goes up when someone throws the "Splits like Elm into the mix". Even if it splits only "A little better" that is enough to make up my mind that I will pass this tree on to someone else. I don't need another beat down from any Elm tree or its cousin.

I have never processed any Hackberry but I have access to one about a mile down the road. I hear some of the good comments about it but a HUGE red flag goes up when someone throws the "Splits like Elm into the mix". Even if it splits only "A little better" that is enough to make up my mind that I will pass this tree on to someone else. I don't need another beat down from any Elm tree or its cousin.

Well hydraulic splitters work well with "stringy" wood. Having a hatchet as spidey says isn't a bad idea. If it's real bad, placing a block on the end so the wedge cuts all the way through helps too.

I hear some of the good comments about it but a HUGE red flag goes up when someone throws the "Splits like Elm into the mix". Even if it splits only "A little better" that is enough to make up my mind that I will pass this tree on to someone else. I don't need another beat down from any Elm tree or its cousin.

its a shame to even compare splitting hackberry to elm. the hardest hackberry I've ever split is easier than the easiest elm. i've split quite a bit of (24"diameter x 24" long rounds) hackberry by hand. i'll do the same thing again.

Latest posts

Back