Anybody else think this is nuts....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I ever heard that one. LOL. But I can usually remember what order I stack my wood so I do know what wood is seasoned the longest.

I *wish* I did something like that, but I don't. I just pile everything in the same pile.

And the problem is I don't have room inside the house to have various piles of wood.

It would be nice if I could do that though! Depending on the temperature inside the house and the temperature outside, I need to burn different types of wood.

Like if it is the morning and really cold inside the house as well as outside, I want to start a fire with small pieces which will burn quickly and make a *very* hot fire (to warm the house up).

And if really cold outside, I want hot fires.

If warmer outside and warm inside, I just want to keep the fire barely going with large pieces with don't put off much heat.

And before I go to bed, if it is going to be cold, I want a hot fire which will last all night - large pieces which will take a long time to burn.

Sometimes all I have inside might be large oak/maple pieces and need small cedar pieces to warm the house up quickly. (Or the other way around.)

All hard wood mixed piles, softwood in the woods rotting.

I have a "wood map". Tells me what kind of wood is in the stack, when to burn it, etc. Hubby thinks I'm nuts. Neighbors, none of whom burn wood, look at my stacks and think I have a premonition the economy is going to go totally down the tube and our house will be the only warm one on the block. None of the neighbors complain about the stacks though.

Shari

wood_diagram.jpg

i think i totally agree with your hubby on this one !!!

and, i think your neihgbors might have hit the nail on the head also !!

Okay, here's the photos (yeah, photos or it didn't happen, right?)

0110101101aa.jpg

Behind the trailer is stack #4 (soft maple), to the right is stack #7 (elm), to the right is stack#5 (soft maple), behind #5 is stack #2 (soft maple/mix).

0110101101cc.jpg

This photo is detail of stack #2. I have a length of conduit holding the tarp down on the leeward side - easy to lift it up & get the wood out. I wanted all the stacks to have this method but hubby was in the hospital and I just ran out of time before cold weather.

0110101101bb.jpg

(kind of hard to see because of all the snow) This is an overview of stack #1 (hard maple), stack #9 (hard maple & locust). In the back there you can just see the top of stack #3 (soft maple & birch) and in front of that is stance #8 (soft maple). I didn't get a photo of stack #10 (locust) - didn't have my boots on!

For any other OCD'ers out there: The reason the stacks are not numbered consecutively as they are placed in the yard is because of the order I collected the wood and if the wood was ready to burn or not (that's my story & I'm stickin' to it!).

Shari

Can't argue with that neatness. It looks really good and it must be nice when you're not digging in snow for wet wood.

Okay, okay! In order to defray comments on my sanity should I say I made the map for hubby so he could see there was really some rhyme/reason to where I was stacking wood? Does that sound better? :biggrinbounce2:

Shari

That map reminds me of the shopping lists my wife makes up for me. Might be only 4 items, but it takes up 2 sides of single lined notebook paper so I don't wind up buying the wrong products. E.g.:

-Peanut Butter (store brand is okay, but if skippy is on sale, I've stapled a 35 cent coupon to list; do NOT get chunky kind or reduced fat kind because the last time we got lite none of the kids ate any and it sat in the cubbard until that snowy day 3 years ago when you lodged half of it on the roof of the dog's mouth because the high winds knocked out the cable and you needed some entertainment)

As for managing the woodpile, I stack in an indoor barn based on burning characteristics, rather than by species. A thick stick of knotty red maple might find itself stacked amongst the beech and oak. Whilst a smallish sliver of somewhat punky red oak might be put up with the pine, popple, and silver maple.

When I bring in a day's supply of wood in the morning, I always get the wood that'll keep a fire longer FIRST, since it winds up at the bottom of the box. Then the medium stuff, followed by the quick-burning woofah woods that get burnt first.

No need for a map. Him (me) that hides can find. Wife doesn't venture into the barn too often.

That camo tarp is great.

To put myself in your neighbors shoes, the tarp is easier on the eyes than the wood.

You've been busy, the splitter lost its hiding spot.

That camo tarp is great.

You've been busy, the splitter lost its hiding spot.

Yup, the splitter is now housed under a roof - nearby in case a scrounge shows up unexpectedly. :) We fell into a late almost-free-scrounge ($30) of elm. When split the elm scrounge ended up to be almost 2 cords. The elm is now stacked where the splitter used to be stored.

Shari

If that elm is of the American variety, more white/ light colored than dark, give it a couple years to dry/degrade, and you will be very happy with the outcome. Usually comes with its own kindling too.

Nuts

Yes that is nuts. Except for the apple wood for smoking the stuff is like gold around here.

I have smaller rounds 6" or smaller of good seasoned hardwood red oak ,ash locust and hedge etc.This stack is inside the wood shed saved just for the wife when I have to work late or hunting.I know she can't handle what most of us throw in these owb's.I have to make the most out of my btu's when I'm not there.

Yeah, I know, that's why it's not in a burn stack. Wanna buy some? We are in eastern Waukesha County.

Shari

No, I am good for now just took down a large apple in september and I have four massive ones to prune in march, but thank you. I am on the south side near national bakery.

Back