Anybody ever modify 64cc open port dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlarge54

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Didn't have much luck with the search feature, I did find one thread but the photos were no longer available. I know everybody seems to just up the displacement on these saws. I've already got one 79cc and just picked up another 64cc saw and just want to play around with my Foredom a bit to see what can be done. From what I've read here open ports aren't the prefered cyls. to modify.

Just looking to see who's tried what and were the gains respectable? Just work saws for me no stopwatches.

I went and looked and the 64cc is as open port as it can be. I never noticed before. I was more interested in the 79cc

All of the ones I have removed were modified by throwing them in the recycle bin:) I couldn't get anything out of them on Ebay. But to actually answer your question, yes, one or two guys have ported them.

I got one dont use it much but I replace the piston with a huskey 359 and opened to ports really wide. I did have to trim a little off the intake skirt to keep the intake timing. It really wakes the saw up a lot. I still need to go back in and mess with the port timing to see if i can get a little more
ADDED VIDEO

[video=youtube_share;-4xHskSl_nw]http://youtu.be/-4xHskSl_nw[/video]

[video]<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-4xHskSl_nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for input. I dug a stock 64cc P/C out of the garage and looked at it last night. Even with my tiny knowledge of saws, I'm thinking this is one P/C that is not one that gives up easy power gains. When you add the fact that it's easy to add displacement it's small wonder few people mod this 64cc setup.

So much for any grinding, I'm going to cross my fingers on a NWP BB kit. Amazon $107 including shipping, kinda hard to resist.

The one(s) I had a few years ago had squish in the .060" range-----what are they running now?

Thanks for input. I dug a stock 64cc P/C out of the garage and looked at it last night. Even with my tiny knowledge of saws, I'm thinking this is one P/C that is not one that gives up easy power gains. When you add the fact that it's easy to add displacement it's small wonder few people mod this 64cc setup.

Are there any other saws out there where these stock pistons and/or cylinders could be used, even if it took some slight modifications? Shame to just chuck out (or sell to china) good stuff.

As these saws get those p/cs swapped out for "big bore", perhaps there are some 50s out there where these pistons and cylinders could be the "big bore" upgrade.

Just thinking out loud...

I built one I got off craigs list about 3 years ago when lots of them were being BB'ed. The saw was ugly and I bought it for $75 bucks shipped from Miami Fl. It cleaned up pretty good though. Thhe cyl. was pretty good but the piston was trash. A member here sold me a piston,ring,and pin w/ bearing that had about 2 hours on it. I don't know what they run like stock but with alot of grinding my 6401 has raised alot of eyebrows. At Wiggs gtg about 3 years ago I gues alot of people ran it and were shocked it was a 64cc. I still run it often but now with a 8 tooth and I will run it till it dies. No regreets here. I retired my 288XP to run the Makita to see how long it would last and still running it. I even offered it to a friend that logs for a living one time to see how long it would live but he ended up getting a new saw.

Have to let one of the GTG historians chime in some videos of my 6401 out there... I like the saw would like to see what could be done with the 359 piston.

Back