Anybody familiar with this splitter...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this one online this morning. AutoSplit by ABS Biomass Systems. Looks to be an interesting setup targeted at what I would expect to be commercial firewood operations or those of us with some serious OCD.

The uniform split size is impressive, but not an industry first. I would not expect to ask it to split a knotty ole crotch, but then again when do you see that kind of wood it bundles...? Mine go in the boiler....

I like the compact design, it appears to be fairly ergonomic, and they got the hitch on the right end. Any first hand knowledge of the machine? Pricing? I see they are to be at the logging show in Grand Rapids this fall.

74728dd78895e277ed87c3d61f8a8a3c.png

When the Tempest first came out, a number of us suggested they have an auto return feature.
The one on this should have high enough clearance that small left-overs don't get dragged back for re splitting unnecessarily.
18t seems like it would be too restrictive.
Uniform size is good but does create a bit of scrap.
The 'auto' aspect of it is over-played. It's screaming out for a magazine-style loader for rounds (but that is a whole bigger kettle of fish to get right in an auto context).
There are better versions of this style of splitter around and have been for a while. I'll see if I can dig up a few youtube videos. One that comes to mind is one filmed in snow, filmed by a drone with some crazy nordic music overlaid. That one was fast.
Meantime, with woodmiser buying tempest, how about this 'special' $14k offer but :
- changing it to auto cycling
- adding return bars to drag back splits
- turning the trays into grills to help separate the scrap
?
fs500.jpg

http://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index/2779

How do any USA sellers of 'auto' splitters get around potential liability issues?

Latest posts

Back