Anybody grind their rakers like this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 491018
I shaped the wheel to match the depth gauge profile so there's no flat spot.
Another way to skin the cat. I like this, but it does require a different wheel from the one used to sharpen the cutter. The innovative ideas of the men on this forum truly amaze me. Two thumbs up!

The right side of the wheel drops the rakers from cutters on both sides of the chain. The opposite side works on the cutters only unless you remove the wheel and flip it over. I can't remember ever doing that. My procedure works for me but it's never been approved by anybody, nor has anyone admitted to me that they have copied it. I thus consider it a procedural invention.
Thanks WD.
Intellectual property noted, check in the mail:envy:

No chec

No check please. Try it at your own risk as they say. I truly like the shaped wheel show here by Gunnusmc03, but maintaining that shape when you have a lot of chains to sharpen and different sizes could be a hassle.
Ok, but I offer no guaranty that the cash will make it:).
That does look slick.
I have a buddy who will be over tomorrow that has a sharpening business(everything from carbide tip replacements to huge knives for presses). I have never talked much about specifics with him as he does have a few patents and his shop is not a public place ie everything is "top secret" so I let it be that way. If I think about it I will try and pry something out of him tomorrow. A few things I do know are that he told me that for production a grinder with a foot pedal and a hydraulic vice are the way to go, also that he charges the city $10 for an 18" chain:surprised3: and he always does the rakers:).
My guess is because it is not his forte that the info on AS will be just as informative, but it doesn't hurt to ask, might just learn something:yes:.

Ok, but I offer no guaranty that the cash will make it:).
That does look slick.
I have a buddy who will be over tomorrow that has a sharpening business(everything from carbide tip replacements to huge knives for presses). I have never talked much about specifics with him as he does have a few patents and his shop is not a public place ie everything is "top secret" so I let it be that way. If I think about it I will try and pry something out of him tomorrow. A few things I do know are that he told me that for production a grinder with a foot pedal and a hydraulic vice are the way to go, also that he charges the city $10 for an 18" chain:surprised3: and he always does the rakers:).
My guess is because it is not his forte that the info on AS will be just as informative, but it doesn't hurt to ask, might just learn something:yes:.
Personally I prefer the clamping system on my Silvey pro sharp that doubles for indexing. And 10 bucks for an 18" chain heck even around here a 42" square full comp chain would cost that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Personally I prefer the clamping system on my Silvey pro sharp that doubles for indexing. And 10 bucks for an 18" chain heck even around here a 42" square full comp chain would cost that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Good stuff Skeans.
I missed out a nice silvey about 2 months ago:(.
Like I was saying he doesn't specialize in chains, so I figured there would be lots of info on AS, I will be probing him for more info tonight though.
That's the price the city of pays, I think he picks them up and delivers them as well, it's one stop shopping for them and they pay for it. He does mower blades, rotary cutter blades, flail mower blades, paper cutters, knives, and anything that needs sharpening and that's just the kind of stuff for municipalities he does a lot more. Municipality + service = big:envy:.
People out here don't even know what a 42" square full comp chain is lol. We are a long time down the road from when Grand Rapids Michigan was called the furniture city. Back in the day the rivers here were full of logs being floated down to be used for furniture. When out in the woods I still see stumps from 50+ yrs ago that are awesome in size your in a whole nother world than we are here in regards to tree size, saws, logging, and even chain sharpening:yes:.
Some awesome logging pictures in here not just Mi. I do love the white pine on the log sled stacked about 15':surprised3:.
https://www.pinterest.com/stephanieyarbro/logging-history/

Latest posts

Back