Anybody in North Georgia/Tennessee/North Carolina answer this question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adronetree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am new to all this. I have a general question. I know there are many variables so its impossible to be exact.

Generally, hypothetically, a high elevation property in North Georgia mountains with a forest that is roughly 80% poplar and 20% red and white oak. Property cut last around 1950. Assuming the average tree diameter being high teens up to mid twenties. On average 20 ft apart lets say. Alot of nice straight high canopy trees.

If my local poplar saw log price was around 38$/ton, my hardwood saw logs around $30/ton, pulp $25/ton. (No ply or veneer market local that I know of).

Assuming an acre was as I described and at these prices what do you think the best $ figure per acre could be and what is the worst $ figure per acre?? Best and worse case scenario per acre before trucking or any costs involved?

Sorry to ask stupid questions like this but I'm new, dead set on cutting my own land, and I don't want to completely screw myself based on my assumptions or wishful thinking...
Thanks in advance for your input...I know what the calculations say but I'd like to know from loggers who do it every day, real world best and worse yield per acre.

Best thing to do would get it cruised by a Forester. What part of NC are you close to?

Best thing to do would get it cruised by a Forester. What part of NC are you close to?
I have. I just want to know from guys who actually do it for a living.....I have learned how to calculate it in every way there is and I already have figures from a forestry guy. Doesnt mean anything to me until the checks in my hand and by then its too late. I will have already jumped off the cliff by then, too late to turn back at that point..And to answer your question about 30-40 miles from NC border in Georgia.
My friends say I'm about to pull a "Ricky Bobby" on this one....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back