Anybody Kan-du?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww C'mon guys... You've got to have some feedback. Tell me what you really think. (remember, it's only about $3000 bucks)

Well if it's that cheap buy 2! We pay more than that just for the Kolher engine on it.

It seems reasonable, on paper, 27HP, retractable wheel to get thru gates etc.

I'd have to see it in person as to how strong it's built, check the metal thickness, design of the drive etc.

Can you get a demo? That's the only way to really find out, plus sales guys should be able to give some names out of other tree guys who've bought one.

Let you know when I get the final word.

How's everything down under? Set any of those loppers straight lately? I'm sure they don't like hearing they are noodle armed nancy boy's but if they don't like it much then I tell em' to put their money where their mouth is. :blob5:

Whoa! The guy I talked to was way off... This is what I got back from the dealer;

Thank you for your interest in the KAN-DU Stump Grinder. The price for a new KAN-DU is $15,000.00 for the 27hp Kohler and $16,000.00 for the 35hp Briggs Vanguard.

Anyway, my question still stands... What do you guys think? Money well spent or forget it dude, go buy a real stumpgrinder...

As a guy who works pricing out engines for machines once in a while, I can tell you a 27 HP Kohler shouldn't be more than $1500 with just about everything on it (I mean that's what the MFR would be paying).

15 large seems a little pricey for that.

As mentioned on this site before, the Kan-du cannot do. Save your money and buy a better build machine. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

i used to have one.........it was a decent little machine but i was constantly repairing it. when you fold the wheels in it was very unstable, it fell over many atime.

the little rayco blows it away.

The Tree People in Honolulu or Trees of Hawaii (can't remember which) had one and did not like it. I would buy the Rayco Jr. Almost any new stumper around that size will cost over $12K now days. I bought a new Rayco Jr in 1989 for $6800 including shipping to Honolulu. Today, shipping alone will cost you around $2500 from the Midwest.

A good friend and competitor uses the Kan-do. It spends more time in the shop than it does grinding. The pivot for the engine and grinding wheel is extremly week and the assy. flops and wobles all over the place. My 252 would grind twice as much wood as the Kan- Do before I converted it to diesel. The chain drive at the cutting wheel needs to be replaced frequently and the hydraulic drive system will barley climb the ramp into his truck.

Hope this helps

Gordy

I checked it out at the Expo and its a piece. The wheel is chain driven with an exposed chain drive! Same goes for the drive wheels. The drive wheels are on the backside of the machine and I can see where going down a steep hill in the right conditions could cause the rear of the machine (the drive and brake tires) to loose enough traction and have a runaway. Basically it blows in every regards, I would take a 1632 or a 252 over that any day, but will gladly settle for an RG50 or RG85. I am trying to talk rayco into an RG150, they are going to be coming out with a tow behind 150hp, I want it stuffed into the RG85 chassis!

i bought a new kan-du in 02, and i would never trade it for any other grinder that is in it's class. the hydraulic pump is a 2 stage, when you come to steep climbs it gears down, so it won't get out of control. the cutting head is chain driven, works well as long as the chain is not to tight. i have owned carlton, rayco jr. and the kan-du will out cut them. it wont loose power when you need to grind deep! you can grind out a 30 inch stump without having to move around on the stump 3 or 4 times like the others too. plus it's the dawg! on uprooted stumps, the head will raise way up in the air, plus! if there are stumps in a flower bed where ppl use 4x4s or 6x6s as boarders, you can boom the head over in it without even getting the tires in the bed,, try that with them others. bottom line, I love my kan-du

The Kan-Du is a great machine it is very versatile and grinds very well. In saying this I have not used the similar Vermeer,Carlton or Rayco machines and bought mine to get away from a Dosko. I chose the Kan-Du as I believe it gave me better options than these machines and am certain it does. Does it have faults of coarse and I have made modifications to over come some of these. Would I buy again you bet I would my second unit will leave the States this month this one with a 35hp and the multi tip cutter wheel. Ive had the multi tip fitted as I believe you have got to continue to look at new ideas and systems to keep ahead of the competition. I also have a set of green teeths new minis ordered to try on my current machine which I will also up grade to 35hp. I will then set up both machines with the best system. I have these machines teamed up with the Alpine Magnums and believe the combination to be unbeatable for the work I undertake. Anything I can not get the Kan-Du too I will use the Alpine for the biggest to date was just under 2mtrs in diameter. I would chose an Alpine over a dosko any day. I am in the process of deciding on a high volume grinder as well and am likly to settle for the Carlton SP8018TRX.

Why do you not rate the dosko, i have a 20hp 691sp (made narrower and running multitip) and i think it is a great machine....belt tensioner system is a bit crap but overall it is strong and versatile...how can a magnum beat the dosko....very interested to hear your views! (and how do rate the Multitip?)

The fellow that runs the Kan Do business, John says that there is one in the UK, in sussex and he imported it himself for a cost of $7,500.00 us dollars including Freight, duties etc. The price for a new KAN-DU is $15,000.00 US Dollars so i guess he bought a second hand one or the info is duff..

Latest posts

Back