Anybody try a long bar on an MS-461 ? Not enough range in tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s219

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I was going to post a cool picture of my new 461 with the 28" ES Light bar that came in this afternoon, but I found out that the bar tensioner does not have enough range to snug the chain down. I tried two different chains, both with 91 links, which is supposed to be the right size for a 28" bar.

Here's a picture of the chain with the tensioner at the maximum setting. As you can see, it's not even close:

attachment.php

View attachment 255726

I pulled off the plate covering the tensioner, and verified that it was maxxed out:

attachment.php

View attachment 255727

For comparison, here's the same tensioner (also had 1125 B stamped on it) on my MS-261 when a 20" bar is fully tensioned:

attachment.php

View attachment 255728

On the 261, the tensioner is only about halfway through its range when the bar is snug.

After realizing I wasn't going to be cutting anything with my 28" bar tomorrow as planned, I went back to the 20" bar on the 461, and it is able to get snug. However, there is hardly any extra adjustment left. This is a new chain, and no doubt it will stretch. I have my doubts that the 20" bar/chain combo will be viable once the chain stretches.

Any thoughts? Any solutions other than the obvious, but not desirable, of either re-drilling the tensioner peg hole in the bar or having a link (or two) removed from my chains? I'd hate to think that for the lifetime of this saw, I'd always need to be modifying bars or chains because off-the-shelf stuff wouldn't work. The saw has less than 5 minutes cutting time on it at this point.

This seems like a serious design flaw or oversight with the 461, but I have a hard time believing I am the first to discover it. I'll try to get down to the dealer on Monday morning and see if they know what's up. This was the first 461 they have gotten in stock, so I don't expect they will know any more than me about the problem.

Well, taking a link out of a chain is no big deal. If 91 is too long then maybe 90 will do it. I wouldn't take out two without trying one first. What sprocket do you have? 7 tooth?

That looks like .325 chain in the pic for some reason....

Why green chain??

Well, taking a link out of a chain is no big deal. If 91 is too long then maybe 90 will do it. I wouldn't take out two without trying one first. What sprocket do you have? 7 tooth?

It's a 7 tooth sprocket.

I guess I could invest in chain tools, but honestly that should not be a requirement to run a stock bar/chain on a saw according to specs.

Well its a mystery then...did you count the links and make sure they are not labeled wrong? Stranger things have happened...

Are the tensioner holes in the bar in the right spot compared to another bar?

Maybe I missed this part, does the longer bar/chain tension up okay on the 261?

Would it be worth stacking the 20" bar and the 28 incher, to see if all the holes/bar edges line up the same?

Not sure how it would affect anything, from the pics, the bar stud shoulders seem to be sticking out farther from the case on the 461 than the 261.

Are the tensioner holes in the bar in the right spot compared to another bar?

The tail of the 28" bar is the same as the 20" bar. Those are the only two bars I have for the saw.

Here are the part numbers for the 28" setup:

Bar 3003 000 2238 (ES Light)
Green chain 3624 005 0091 (33RS391)
Yellow chain 3623 005 0091 (33RSC91)

Maybe I missed this part, does the longer bar/chain tension up okay on the 261?

Would it be worth stacking the 20" bar and the 28 incher, to see if all the holes/bar edges line up the same?

I could probably try the 28" bar on the 261 -- the bar is the same 3003 tail shape on both saws, so it should fit the pegs. I wouldn't be able to snug up the 3/8" chain on the 261 all the way since it has a .325 rim sprocket, but I can get close enough to eyeball the fit. That is a good idea just as another sanity check.

The 20" and 28" bars do have the same exact tail shape, including holes and slots. The ES Light bar (28") has an angled oil port compared to straight on the 20" E bar, but the holes are in the same place. It's possible both bars are wrong.

Not sure how it would affect anything, from the pics, the bar stud shoulders seem to be sticking out farther from the case on the 461 than the 261.

I believe that might have something to do with the captive bar nuts on the 261 versus standard on the 461. Shouldn't be a factor in the chain tensioning though.

Latest posts

Back