Anybody try a long bar on an MS-461 ? Not enough range in tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see this phrase over and over here. With all due respect, not all of us have a choice. Bring the saw back and let your dealer sort it out. No use cutting back loops for a new saw that's not proper. That's what warranties are for.

sorry if I sounded rued, I realize dealer options can be limited in certain areas. Nevertheless I simply don't see how they can be called a dealer if they can't do something basic like spinning a chain. I simply wouldn't have any confidence in doing business with them.

Would be very interesting to see a 28" ES Light bar compared to a regular 28" ES. Whatever the cause, a shortened chain is really the only solution...

i have both and they are identical in all dimensions except weight

It's obvious in the pics that the adjuster on the 461 isn't milled as closed to the end of the case as the 261. I believe Mastermind has a 461 in his shop right now. I would get with him and see if he would be willing to post a pic of the adjuster and see if you didn't get a saw that was a factory defect.

AJ

It's obvious in the pics that the adjuster on the 461 isn't milled as closed to the end of the case as the 261. I believe Mastermind has a 461 in his shop right now. I would get with him and see if he would be willing to post a pic of the adjuster and see if you didn't get a saw that was a factory defect.

AJ

I don't think there is any way the sort of defect you are describing could happen (a design flaw is a different thing). Looking at the photo that looks fine to me. The distance between the front bar stud and the adjusters plastic stop at least looks about the same.

I would think the only useful comparison is the distance between the pin on the adjuster and the centre of the drive sprocket. Those photos can't tell us that.

It looks like the 461 has a very short adjustment range. A lot of stihl dealers have quit making chain up. That's why I bought a breaker/spinner and rolls of chain. Unless that bar was made wrong then it sounds like stihl will be needing to make a new loop size for the 461.

Ok OP, I've broken down into accepting that maybe you should mail that junky old 28" light bar over this way.

I'll toss it on a saw or two, run her for a couple of years, and make sure all is okay before mailing it back.

(Although, it does sound as though the problem with the adjusment adjuster not adjusting likely needs adjusted by Stihl.)

Can that adjuster be turned around and still fit in the slot and work? I don't have a stihl saw to look at and try it on.

It looks like the 461 has a very short adjustment range. A lot of stihl dealers have quit making chain up. That's why I bought a breaker/spinner and rolls of chain. Unless that bar was made wrong then it sounds like stihl will be needing to make a new loop size for the 461.

Thats kinda what I was thinking as well. I'd hope not though, Kinda be a PITA to keep 1 DL shorter chain just for one saw!

The dealers here quit making chain as well. If ya need anything special ya gotta make it yourself.

OK, so I tossed and turned last night while this issue was going through my head. Being an engineer, it's a curse when I go to bed with any sort of design/math problem unsolved. Well, I woke up with an idea, and measured all the 3003 series bars I own. The bars are all 3-1/8 inch longer than the rated length. So for example, the 20" bar measures 23-1/8". By that logic, the 28" ES Light bar should measure 31-1/8". But it doesn't. It measures 30-1/8", an inch short. Without a doubt, that is the problem. I'll head to the dealer and see if the Saturday staff can swap me to a regular 28" bar or a 25" bar for the weekend, and then try to order another 28" ES Light on Monday.

I also eyeballed the 28" bar on my 261, and there's no way it would be able to tension the chain either.

OK, so I tossed and turned last night while this issue was going through my head. Being an engineer, it's a curse when I go to bed with any sort of design/math problem unsolved. Well, I woke up with an idea, and measured all the 3003 series bars I own. The bars are all 3-1/8 inch longer than the rated length. So for example, the 20" bar measures 23-1/8". By that logic, the 28" ES Light bar should measure 31-1/8". But it doesn't. It measures 30-1/8", an inch short. Without a doubt, that is the problem. I'll head to the dealer and see if the Saturday staff can swap me to a regular 28" bar or a 25" bar for the weekend, and then try to order another 28" ES Light on Monday.

I also eyeballed the 28" bar on my 261, and there's no way it would be able to tension the chain either.

I just measured my regular 28" Stihl ES bar and it's 30 1/4".

Oops, I stand corrected; it's actually 30 1/8".

attachment.php
attachment.php

I have to get going soon, but I did throw the 28" bar on a 2006 version of a 260 that still has a .325 sprocket on it.

The bar/chain mount up just fine and tension up okay. I didn't make it very tight, but there is plenty of adjustment left after it's on.

Would you be willing to measure the chain? The 28" Stihl chain I have here is 33 1/2" long; Measured OD as if it's hanging from a nail in the wall.

Can you elaborate on that? Will the 8-pin have enough of a larger diameter to take up the extra slack in the chain?

What about performance -- wouldn't an 8-pin increase chain speed and reduce torque??

If an 8 pin solves the problem and won't noticeably deteriorate cutting performance, then it's fine with me -- could be an easy solution!

Yes to all ^.

I use the same 28" ES Light/91dl/7-pin combo on both my 441 and 460 and have plenty of adjustment. Sumthin's up w' this 461.

I think I am really confused now. I won't be able to talk to the knowledgeable parts guy at the Stihl dealer until Monday morning, but they let me try the 25" bar the saw originally had, and it mounts up just fine, with room to spare in the tensioner.

They did mention that bar length is normally referenced from the end of the stud slot to the tip. Based on that, the 20" bar measures 20", the 25" bar measures 25", but this 28" bar (and presumably PA Plumber's) measures 27".

PA Plumber, I also get 33-1/2" for the chain when hanging from a hook.

I guess we really need someone else with a 461 to try the 28" bar/chain combo and see what's up. My conclusion right now is that the saw can't properly tension stock chain sizes above 25", which is ridiculous. Based on the facts we're assembling, it suggests that the tensioner is probably too close to the sprocket/shaft to handle the oddball 27/28" bar.

Oh well, here's some saw propaganda from this morning with the 20" bar in some white oak. This normally gives my 261 a run for the money, but the 461 breezed through it pretty easily. The 461 is still on the first tank of gas here, with stock muffler and factory tune.

[video=youtube_share;TBZdQ3xSEs4]http://youtu.be/TBZdQ3xSEs4[/video]

Right now, the most impressive characteristic of the 461 to me is the throttle response. It is zippier than the 441-CM I was running, and zippier than my 261. I was not expecting that in such a big saw. But it really revs up with hair trigger response.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back