Anybody use this kind of Axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been covered here several times before, and I believe the inventor is a site sponsor now? A few guys here way before I joined passed one around to try it out, consensus was OK in straight grained wood, not so hot in gnarly. Quite spendy.

It is an out of the box design for sure.

Just use a heavy double bit ax and give it a little sideways flip just as the bit enters the wood. It takes a little practice for most, but some folks take to it right away. A big advantage is when using that flip your ax will never hit the dirt.
The vp splitting tool was designed to do that automatically by stopping the bit with a ledge and weighting the other side. Another fellow added a lot of weight to the poll of a single bit axe to allow it to flip better. I have watched videos of him using that re-worked ax but don't remember ever seeing it for sale.
I made modifications to a maul many years ago that worked like the vp splitter, I cut away part of the bit to make a ledge on one side and added weight to the other. I showed it around and several people tried it, some liked it, others didn't. For me it is just easier to flip whatever tool I have in my hand; ax, maul or even the fiskars.

Re-invented mouse trap with no desire to back up claims with an unbiased comparison and a confrontational owner when called out to back up any claims ...... Sponsor or not .
And I stand by what I say .

Yes. I was part of the "send it around the US for a trial" crowd. Agree that MAYBE for some, it works good, and for MOST, it isn't going to do anything but frustrate you. IF i were a handle freak, I'm sure I'd have a stable FULL of axes and mauls. Because I have a variety of woods, and have already learned when one doesn't work the other might.

No it isn't a better mousetrap. Just another product claiming to be a better mouse trap. Im not sure but I think I can buy good chainsaws for that kind of money. I'm SURE I can buy a bad chainsaw for that kind of money.

Back