Anybody Using DEDA???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Tom Dunlap
The Sherrill 16010 al snap is a nice one for a lanyard. If you can find a vendor with the older ones, they're better. Just a little smaller.

Do you use the brass snap in the middle of the saddle to keep the tail up?

Glad to hear that you're liking the DEDA. It really isn't entirely my invention. It was a work in progress with input from some good people.

I've been using some 11.5 mm gym rope. Soft lay but still plenty strong.

Tom

Tom, Thanks again. I've been lurking and reading your posts for sometime now. Trying to learn all I can.

Yes the brass snap is in the middle of saddle suporting the loop. Couldn't function without it.

Thanks for the tip on which sherrill snap to get. I'll be on the hunt for two.

toting around an 18' or longer wirecore is nothing. Try trimming all day up in a tree, hauling an old metal Husky 61 with 20" bar..........The wirecoe at that point feel like dental floss light....:biggrinbounce2:

toting around an 18' or longer wirecore is nothing. Try trimming all day up in a tree, hauling an old metal Husky 61 with 20" bar..........The wirecoe at that point feel like dental floss light....:biggrinbounce2:

You wouldn't catch me with either!!!

Nice to see a 3 yr. old thread I started come back!!!

is this the one?

that's $130 at fresco's

http://www.ecomecs.com/cgi-bin/fres...8-35889&WSC1029184047-32481&1068488309-64683#

art.JPG

I will add that I no longer use the DEDA. Just a 10 ft. lanyard with an ART positioner.

Last edited:
this is from fresco's site... so has everyone switched to ART instead of DEDA?

art 2.JPG

Jeez, where's the splice?

I had Nick make me a custom DEDA lanyard, 20 feet long, snap and plastic thimble on each end, and I used a pair of gibbs for adjusting, one on each hip, with all the slack stashed on the back of my saddle when not in use. It was just too much weight, too much stuff. I now use A.L.T. (alternating lanyard technique) if I need two lanyards. My 10' flipline with gibbs, and my climbing line with icicle hitch. I still keep the 20' in my bag, just in case.

This is a pic of a Positioner. This is Tom's setup.

I don't use Positioners now for my lanyard. Using the d-ring as a direct slack tender is less complex. Also, the adjustment is quicker since the length from the slack tender to the bottom of the hitch is so short.

That's a picture of one of my original ideas from years ago.

This is my more current setup.

The close up is from the right side of the harness.

this is from fresco's site... so has everyone switched to ART instead of DEDA?

I am still using a DEDA, I like it, I myself would not spend $130 for an adjuster, I would go back to using a big Gibbs cam adjuster before buying an ART.

Tom, you must be ambedextrious to be able to use both sides of the saddle for your present DEDA, I myself would feel off and uncordinated trying to use the right side of the saddle to position a lanyard.

I like the present set-up you have, nice and clean.

I have to make up a new DEDA lanyard later on with some smaller diameter rope to trim down the bulk of using a bigger diameter rope.

I don't why this set-up isn't a little more poular than it is, the loops can be a pain at times but no more than any other part of a climbing system. I don't know if it is the crummy trees I have to climb but this DEDA has solved many a difficult postioning problems while working in a tree , can get you farther out on a limb than a conventional lanyard and that third point makes a difference to me in terms of comfort. Ever since I started climbing trees this concept of a DEDA was on my mind to solve some problems while working in a tree, but back then the gear to be able to assemble it was limited and I never had a spare lanyard to be able to try two lanyards.

Larry

Last edited:
The part of the DEDA system that I use the most is the longer lanyard. To use the length I fish out the slack to the left side. Occasionally I'll use both ends in DEDA fashion though.

The most common use of DEDA is during ascent in a brushy tree or excurrent where there are 'ladder' steps to climb. Another common use is to find the perfect support way out in the canopy. Many times the extra lanyard end is just for balance not really as full weight body support.

I rigged up my long lanyard for DEDA after reading this thread and used it Wednesday in a big spreading Willow Oak (twig city). I used the second end once so I could unclip my whole rope and pull it around a lead after working to the opposite side on double crotches. That was a cool climb BTW... went up on one side of the house, walked limbs over the roof and descended on the other side.

It was just too much stuff to deal with, I already have too much stuff anyway. The twigs snagging in the knots and pulleys was a time waisting hassle. One thing that was nice though, I rigged up one adjuster with eye-eye beeline, a Distel and a pulley... I was just using a prussic before. I like the one handed adjustment a LOT better.

Yesterday I took the second end and adjuster (prussic) off and it was much better.

I use a second split tail for double crotching and recently added a pulley to it... I'm ditching that second pulley to, I keep it tied with a long bridge so the pulley doesn't help much anyway.

All in all, the second adjustable end doesn't help much in the big spreading trees I climb most often. I'm using both ends of my rope so, with a single ended lanyard so effectively I have three possible tie-ins.

What I want to know now is... how do you keep the tail of a long lanyard out of the way and still be able to use the full length with one hand?

If you climb with a harness that has small d-rings you can thread the rope through the ring and use it as a slack tender. This is a much more streamlined setup than using a snap and pulley...cheaper too!

If you climb with a long single ended lanyard secure the bitter end of the lanyard to your harness just behind your side d-ring. That way the long lanyard can make two bights and hang neatly by your side.

In the pics you'll see an easy way of adding a slack tender. If you use a double ended lanyard with the brass snap all you have to do is unclip the snap from the d-ring when you use the red end of the lanyard. Otherwise the snap will act as a slacktender on top of the hitch and let you drop :blob2:

Back