Anybody Using DEDA???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a saddle that I'm demoing so I wanted to leave my Positioners on my butterfly. When I set up the DEDA on the demo saddle I put the lanyard rope through the d-rings and tied the adjuster, I use a Distel, right onto the d-rings. This is an idea that I got from Spidey.

Using the d-rings instead of biners makes the adjuster shorter and the whole setup less complex.

I'm using some 11mm rope for the DEDA. The arbo rope in your pics looks so big to my eye :)

Tom

Tom, thanx for asking.

With the weather on the colder side, jobs have been less frequent. However I did do a couple small jobs. I only used the front or normal part of the lanyard so far. The DEDA will be a keeper. The only thing that I am trying to work out is how everything gets hooked up to the left/main d-ring. I am finding it a difficult to take up slack, mostly because the two micro pulleys run into one and other. I think I have found a solution though. I didn't want to tie directly to the d-ring because I want the ability to move the main lanyard to my front d-ring ( master saddle ) for use as a second TIP. I am thinking that if I keep the rear part of the DEDA attached to one of my accessory loops until I need it that will keep it out of the way.

Any thoughts on this Tom would be appreciated!

I have one adjuster on each hip. I would take the right, purple pulley, and put it on the other side.

Using the distel keeps the friction hitch shorter too. The rope doesn't have to be pulled as far to compress the hitch. My distel is snugged up tight to the d-ring.

Tom

I joined the DEDA club about six weeks ago. It is a much better set-up than using the the 2 in 1 lanyard, I never cared for that kind of lanyard because one side would be either too long or to short. The second adjuster eliminates this problem.

Having the extra length for this this kind of lanyard has also been helpful. After working your way out to the end of a limb, the extra length gives you those few extra precious steps when going backwards to where you can unhook and start to use your climbing line. The DEDA will save the need to double crotch.

The real beauty of it comes into play when your level with your TIP or have to go above it for what ever reason. You have an extra split tail type climbing system when your climbing line is tied in. Also when your out on the end of a limb the second lanyard adjuster part of this set-up allows you three points of contact with just ropes alone, if you were to count your feet there would be five, extremely stable and comfortable.

The only drawback to the system is the extra loops that can tangled on branches or around your feet, you just have to keep an eye on everything and adjust accordingly.

But I must give credit where credit is due, that is to Tom D. All I can say is thank you, your DEDA has helped overcome situations that in the past would have been a struggle, that now are a piece of cake to overcome.

Larry

I've been using a grillon for the last couple years up until this week, I went with the knut knot attached to my right d ring,,it's attached w/ a s.s. no snag bow shackle,,this way it smaller and shorter than a biner...I soppose i could just tie fishermans but i like spliced eyes w/ the ultra tech as the cord. The tail end of the lanyard runs through the d ring which in effect acts as a slack tender..It actually works really well...one handed adjustment,, the micro pulley was just one extra piece i didn't need..I agree w/ tom on the idea of keeping the hitchs short..Rich you might think about getting rid of the vt w/ the micro pulleys...This aught to minimize and compact the whole setup..and it shouldn't affect the performance of adjustment...I'm using 11mm also as tom is...Give it a shot...Les weight...I'd like to be using the Fly but i don't know where i can buy short pieces of this...HUMMMM????Anyone know...Anyone have the splicing directions?

I tried the DEDA (Thanks Tom) and see its advantages, but am loathe to trust those aduster gizmoes all the time. I went back to using the standard lanyard, and always have my 10mm short climbing line to use if the lanyard is too short.

Sorry Tom I trust knots and snaps, but wonder if adjusters can fail.:confused:

Tom have you had an problems w/ the adjusters? I know that like on the lock jack once the cams get worn that they tend to creap slightly,,I'm sure this would take longer to occur on adjusters ;but theoretically i soppose it could happen. I think i'll stick w/ the hitches either way though,,i'm not about to shell out that kind of money for lanyard adjusters...I like them they just seem really pricey for what they are..

O just got out of some oaks about 1.5 hours ago. The DEDA was useful. What a great place to spend a Sunday working. Right on the MN side of the St. Croix River. I got to look across the river at WI. The ice just went out so boat traffic was minimum. Only about four all day.

The o-rings on my Positioner's broke but they still lock off. I'm going to stop and get some new ones though. I suppose they might slip some. I think that it will take a long time to wear the cams on the P since there isn't a lot of rope runing through the unit. Also, the lanyard rope stays cleaner so there is less abrasion I think.

I think that a short-bridge hitch tied directly to the d-ring as the slack tender would work just about as smooth. I replace the side d's on my B'fly saddle with delta Maillon Rapide screw links.

The loops do get snagged once in a while but that is such a minor negative for a system that has so many positives.

Tom

Originally posted by TreeJunkie
Rich you might think about getting rid of the vt w/ the micro pulleys

I know what you mean about the extra length that the VT gives. The VT is so smooth I just don't use anything else. Once you get accustom to the free-play ( for lack of a better word ) of the Vt it isn't so bad.

As for the micro pulleys, I had them on hand so I use 'em.

My buddy likes the one i made for him; i prefer just one sided lanyard tied straight to D, with D doubling as tender; though on a test spin, this did work real well, fresh from the factory!

He just brought it back, cuz it seems someone figured out they could use the chords....

After, reading the posts, i've made one hitch a distel; instead of both Knuts; leaving the slack for him to make up his own mind; but fresh/new the Knut seems so much nicer.

The screw link provides semi-permanenet, light, discreet link; that doubles as tender, for angles and times Knut isn't well mannered. The screwlink barely fits around the host lanyard, squarely stopping the friction hitch from 2 opposing sides pushing evenly (mostly).

The Screwlink should be tightened well with a long handled wrench.

BE careful when tightening MRs with wrenches. They only need a little snugging. Definetly not white knuckle tight.

If the sleeve is tightened too much it distorts the link. This can damage the threads too. Snug not tight is all that's needed.

Tom

Does the screwlink work like a micro pulley on yer climbing ? Without it do you gotta use both hands to advance yer hitch? If so, it really isn't critical enough to worry about taking a wrench to it. Just make sure it's hand tight before ya put yer belt on. If it fails, it's an inconveniance not a hazard, right? Maybe I don't understand, but the link ain't part of the hitch is it? Pardon me if I am so lost that I should be banished to the searh engine:p

using two lanyards clipped together works for me double length dual adjustment

Thanks to Tom D, I'm using a DEDA on 16 strand safty blue w/9mm sterling for the distal.

I've simply got the distals attached directly to the side D's and a brass snap to tend the back loop, very smooth. I'm using triple fisherman (barrel) to terminate into a steel self locking carabiner (need to get the sherill big aluminum) as I trust my abilities more someone else's splice.

Mine is 18 ft total, which does get in the way sometime. The advantages out weight drawbacks especially in Oaks.

The Sherrill 16010 al snap is a nice one for a lanyard. If you can find a vendor with the older ones, they're better. Just a little smaller.

Do you use the brass snap in the middle of the saddle to keep the tail up?

Glad to hear that you're liking the DEDA. It really isn't entirely my invention. It was a work in progress with input from some good people.

I've been using some 11.5 mm gym rope. Soft lay but still plenty strong.

Tom

Latest posts

Back