Anyone burn Sasafrass...How is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windwalker7

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Got a triaxle of logs the other day. Have several logs that are sasafrass. They seem pretty soft and the MS310 rips right through them.

Kinda wondering if they are going to be any good (burn up quick)?

They do smell pretty nice as I'm cutting, though.

Anyone with experience?

Got a triaxle of logs the other day. Have several logs that are sasafrass. They seem pretty soft and the MS310 rips right through them.

Kinda wondering if they are going to be any good (burn up quick)?

They do smell pretty nice as I'm cutting, though.

Anyone with experience?

Windwalker,

Split 'em up and keep 'em off the ground. They go to pooch fast.

As for burning, the color of the flame is cool, and it burns HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
I mean REAL HOT!!!!!!!!!!
Perfect for early morning warm ups, just watch the temps.

Not so good for a long burner, as it burns rather quickly, but damp it down and add a stick of Oak for fall and spring and it's OK.

Sassafrass has it's place.

I like burning it myself as I HATE Sassafrass trees that invade my farm, so I get a twisted little grin every time I toss a split on the coals.

Keep a couple small splits handy to knock the chill down and you'll like it too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I burn it because I have so much of it lying around.....It needs to be seasoned well and it will burn rather quickly but if you don't throw other wood on top of it too quickly it will hold its shape (red coal log) for a loooong time and keep producing heat. If you throw another log on top of it too quickly though, POOF and it's gone, along with the heat it was generating.

Works fine on average cold days but not the best on bitterly cold days....That's been my experience and it's probably 30+ % of my wood pile.

Probably not helpful, but...

sasafrass twigs make great firestarters even when they are green. The small twigs have a waxy coating and will light easily with a match.

Like these fellas said, it burns quickly and throws medium heat. It also pops somewhat due to moisture pockets, and has a unique smell to it. Not great, but not bad either.

good posts all this is most true. my 2cents is let it sit for a year off the ground when its a fresh cut. here in southern indiana they grow to about 30/60' and grow like weeds & the red headed wood peckers make homes out of the dead ones.

i made a brush popper for my front end loader, and pulled up a trillion of saplings, (maybe 1-3" thick) cut off the stumps/roots, and used them keep the firewood off the ground. they're kinda wiggly and crooked, but stack enough weight on them and they'll take shape. Since they're small in size i had to lay down like 5 rows per row of firewood.

/me shrugs

What else they gonna be good for? they were in the way, wont' make lumber, not big enough to hold a fire, smell like a car freshener. Figured they'll keep my oak off the ground for a season.

Latest posts

Back